Health events: 07/30/12
Share with others:
• Excela Health Home Care and Hospice, Seton Hill University and the Pennsylvania chapter of the National Association of Social Workers are sponsoring an end-of-life conference, "When Enough is Enough," from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 2 at Seton Hill University's Performing Arts Center, 100 Harrison Ave., Greensburg. Presenters include Rachel Shipley, Excela Health internal medicine specialist; Jan Grover; and Diane T. Marsh. Continuing education credits are available to social workers and registered nurses. The cost is $35, $25 for members of NASW, and participants should bring or be prepared to go out to lunch. Register at www.nasw-pa.org. Call 724-454-8561.
• Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Pittsburgh is sponsoring a "Keep Smiling" Happy Hour from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Aug. 1 at Barcelona at Rivers Edge, 4616 Allegheny River Blvd., Penn Hills. The cost is $75, and space is limited. Proceeds benefit dental services at the Catholic Charities Free Health Care Center. Call 412-456-6950.
• St. Barnabas Medical Center, 5830 Meridian Road, Richland, is sponsoring its annual 5K Run/Walk at 9 a.m. Aug. 4. The cost is $20. Proceeds benefit the St. Barnabas Free Care Fund. Register online at www.StBarnabas5K.com, by calling 724-443-0800 ext. 5310 or in person between 7 and 8:30 a.m on race day.
• The Friends of AVS are sponsoring a golf open at noon Aug. 13 at the Green Oaks Country Club, 5741 Third St., Penn Hills. Registration begins at 10 a.m., with lunch at 11 a.m. and dinner at 6 p.m., The cost per golfer is $300, $75 for dinner only, and the deadline is Aug. 8. Proceeds benefit Allegheny Valley School. Call 412-299-2229.
• The Ladies Hospital Aid Society of UPMC is sponsoring a Wild Orchid party from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Aug. 17 at Savoy, 2623 Penn Ave., Strip. The cost is $50 before July 31 and $75 after. Proceeds benefit the Orchid Fund, which helps individuals with hair loss. Call 412-648-6106.
• Arbors III at St. Barnabas, 85 Charity Place, Valencia, is sponsoring a Veterans Aid & Attendance Seminar at 6:30 p.m. July 31. Call 412-334-3558.
• Excela Health is sponsoring the following classes. Call 1-877-771-1234.
- Childbirth and Beyond, three weeks, 7 to 9:30 p.m. Wednesdays beginning Aug. 1, Memorial Conference Center, ground floor, Westmoreland Hospital, Greensburg.
- "Living with Diabetes, Looking Forward," 6 to 9 p.m. beginning Aug. 13, Frick Hospital, Mt. Pleasant; 1 to 4 p.m., Aug. 14, Latrobe Hospital; 9 a.m. to noon, Aug. 16; and 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Aug. 18, 420 Pellis Road Rear, Hempfield.
• Monongahela Valley Hospital is sponsoring the following classes:
- Baby care, 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Aug. 6, Mon-Vale HealthPLEX, 800 Plaza Drive, Rostraver. Cost: $10, checks only. Call 724-258-2229 ext. 25.
- Managing Your Diabetes, 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Aug. 7-9, Anthony M. Lombardi Education Conference Center, MVH. Deadline is July 31. Call 724-258-1483.
• To find a blood drive near you call:
-The Central Blood Bank, 412-209-7000 or 1-800-310-9551.
-The American Red Cross, 1-800-448-3543. For bloodmobile locations, check http://www.redcrosslife.org.
First Published July 30, 2012 2:25 pm