Duquesne schools recovery officer asks for deadline extension
Share with others:
The chief recovery officer for the Duquesne City School District has requested an extension to his Jan. 31 deadline for completing a financial recovery plan for the district.
Paul B. Long said today that he requested an extension so that he can hear Gov. Tom Corbett's budget proposal next week. He said the budget plan will provide him with more updated financial information for the district for 2013-2014.
The Pennsylvania Department of Education extension has not yet granted the request. If it is approved, the new deadline for completing the recovery plan will be Feb. 11.
Mr. Long was appointed chief recovery officer in November under new financial recovery legislation aimed at addressing the issues in the state's most financially troubled districts.
In a letter last week, Mr. Long outlined four options for the district's students in grades K-6.
Two options involve sending the students to nearby districts on a tuition basis.
One plan called for the transfer to take place through voluntary agreements with the receiving districts.
The other plan called for sending the students to nearby districts via a mandate, similar to the way Duquesne students in grades 7-12 are sent to the East Allegheny and West Mifflin Area school districts.
The mandate would require new state legislation.
The other two options are continuing to operate the K-6 program or to have a charter school operate the program.
But both of those options appear to be financially unfeasible, Mr. Long said.
Once the plan is complete and presented to the Duquesne school board, the board will vote to accept or reject it.
If it is rejected, the matter will go to Common Pleas Court where a receiver will be appointed to carry out the plan for the 2013-2014 school year.
First Published January 29, 2013 2:37 pm