Corbett, Camelot extend bid for lottery contract to March 18
Share with others:
HARRISBURG -- The Corbett administration and a United Kingdom-based company agreed today to extend a bid to manage the Pennsylvania Lottery through March 18, an administration spokeswoman said.
The bid by Camelot Global Services would have expired at noon today.
The move by Gov. Tom Corbett to hire a private manager for the lottery was thrown off course last week when Attorney General Kathleen Kane said the 20-year management agreement violates state law.
Mr. Corbett has said he strongly disagrees and is considering how to proceed. The attorney general's determination can be appealed to the courts.
The bid is now valid past the March 16 deadline for the state to appeal the contract denial.
"This extension allows both parties to continue considering strategic next steps in an effort to secure and maximize long-term lottery funding for seniors programs," Elizabeth Brassell, spokeswoman for the Department of Revenue, said in a statement.
She said more information is expected to be available mid-March.
Camelot, which manages the United Kingdom's lottery, committed to generating $34 billion in lottery profits over 20 years, in part by introducing online ticket sales and keno. Proceeds from the lottery pay for programs for seniors such as property-tax rebates and discounts on prescription drugs, and Mr. Corbett says the profit commitments would allow the state to support an increasing population of seniors.
The attorney general's office concluded that the contract infringes on the Legislature's authority to make policy and that state law governing the lottery does not allow development of games like keno.
First Published February 22, 2013 1:09 pm