The West at a glance
Share with others:
Reception to Honor World War I veteran
U.S. Army Lance Corporal George Michaels Rowe who served in World War I will be among veterans honored at 10 a.m. today in the lower lobby of Northwood Hall on the Geneva College campus.
Belongings of Cpl. Rowe, a two-time recipient of the Purple Heart, and related artifacts will be displayed.
A reception also will honor his extended family for their donation of the artifacts, as well as all other war veterans for their service to the country.
A soldier for five years, Cpl. Rowe, who died in 1976 at age 84, was assigned to the 3rd Army Corps, 80th Division, 159th Brigade, 318th Infantry Regiment, Machine Gun Unit and participated in three of the four major ground conflicts fought by American forces: The Defensive Sector (Artois); the Battle of St. Mihiel, France; and the Battle of Meuse-Argonne.
Members of Cpl. Rowe's family will be in attendance, as will Geneva employees who are veterans and members of the Beaver county Chapter of the Vietnam Veterans of America. The reception is open to the public.
Road work will restrict traffic
There will be traffic restrictions this week during maintenance by Department of Transportation crews on these Beaver County roads:
• 37th Street and Oakville Road in Chippewa, West Mayfield and Beaver Falls - Patching between Fourth Avenue and Shenango Road.
• Beaver Valley Expressway (Interstate 376) - Bridge cleaning between the Pennsylvania Turnpike interchange and the Allegheny County line.
• Bradys Run Road in South Beaver, Chippewa and Brighton - Drainage repairs between Constitution Boulevard and Groscost Road.
• Braun Road, Chippewa - Wall repairs between Constitution Boulevard and Braden School Road.
• Chapel Drive, North Sewickley and Franklin - Drainage repairs between Route 65 and Shady Rest Road.
• Dutch Ridge Road, Brighton - Wall repairs between Beaner Hollow and Park roads.
• Hanover-Kendall Road, Hanover - Patching between Waters Drive and Frankfort Road; inlet Installation between Boyd and Harshaville roads.
• Lovi, Golden Grove and Wallace Heights roads in New Sewickley and Economy - Shoulder cutting between Lovi and Conway-Wallrose roads.
• Mellon Road in New Sewickley and Marion - Paving between Hartzell School and Brush Creek roads.
• Pine Grove Road in Industry and Brighton - Wall repairs between Midland-Beaver and Doyle roads.
• Ridge Road, Marion - Paving between Mellon and Herman roads.
• Riverview Road, Marion - Drainage repairs between Chapel Road and Route 588.
• Shenango Road in Chippewa - Patching between Park and Braun roads.
• Wallace City Road and Glen Eden Road, New Sewickley - Shoulder cutting between Freedom Crider and Brush Creek roads.
Drive license, photo centers closed Wednesday for Independence Day
The state Department of Transportation announced that all driver license and photo centers will be closed Wednesday in observance of Independence Day.
The ones serving West motorists are at 1025 Washington Pike (Route 50) in the Chartiers Valley Shopping Center, Collier, and in Beaver County at 149 Stewart Ave., East Rochester.
Customers may still obtain driver and vehicle products and services online through PennDOT's Driver and Vehicle Services website, www.dmv.state.pa.us.
Driver and vehicle online services are available 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week and include driver's license and photo ID renewals; vehicle registration renewals; driver-history services; changes of address; driver license and vehicle registration restoration letters; ability to pay driver license restoration fee or vehicle financial responsibility restoration fee; and exam scheduling. There are no additional fees for using online services.
Five Points intersection restrictions
A $2.3 million reconstruction project at the so-called Five Points intersection of Route 30, Route 978 and Steubenville Pike will continue through late September.
Lane closures and single-lane alternating traffic will continue on roadways at the intersection from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays. Long-term restrictions on Route 30 have been removed.
The project involves significant improvements at the busy intersection, the scene of numerous accidents because of confusing traffic patterns and the convergence of five roads. Work involves reconstructing and widening the intersection to add turning lanes on Route 30, improved drainage, traffic signals, guide rail and bituminous resurfacing.
The prime contractor is Plum Contracting, Inc. of Greensburg.
Computer recycling operation discontinued
Job Training for Beaver County Inc. will discontinue its computer/electronics recycling activity July 1 because of restricted client activity options and funding limitations.
The program was conducted in partnership with Goodwill of Southwestern Pennsylvania.
The agency has had to re-evaluate programming options due to new directives from the state Department of Public Welfare that impact the Employment, Advancement, and Retention Network Program. As a result, outmoded electronics/computers will no longer be accepted at the Job Training offices in Beaver Valley Mall.
First Published June 28, 2012 6:29 am