Sewer overhaul starts soon in McDonald
Share with others:
The McDonald Sewage Authority plans to install 30,000 feet of sewer line beneath roads and sidewalks in about 60 percent of the borough beginning as early as February or March, authority secretary Gloria Stroop said this week.
Four crews from R&B Contracting & Excavation Inc. of Homestead will work throughout the borough, she said. There will be temporary detours but no long-term street closures.
Authority chairman Robert Allen said trucks, machinery and dirt will cause temporary inconveniences. All disturbed roads will be restored with curb-to-curb paving, and wheelchair-accessible ramps will be installed at some intersections, he said.
"It's going to be a little discomfort with the traffic and getting around the streets because we have to finish [the project] in a year," Mr. Allen said. "But we'll do the best we can to accommodate everybody."
Councilman Pat Powell said the borough isn't planning any road work in 2013 because of the sewage project.
"It's going to affect a big portion of the town, and we'll be glad when it gets started, and we'll be glad when it gets finished," he said.
The $5.18 million project will eliminate the combined system and create separate lines for sewage and storm water. The old lines -- many more than 100 years old -- will carry storm water, and the new lines will carry sewage.
Mr. Allen said the project will save money in the long run because the authority no longer will have the unnecessary expense of treating storm water along with sewage.
The authority has received a $958,254 grant and a $4,221,746 loan from the Pennsylvania Infrastructure Investment Authority. The loan is to be repaid at 1 percent interest over 20 years.
Sewage had been piped into Robinson Run until about 1990, when McDonald separated the sewers in about 40 percent of the borough, Ms. Stroop said.
First Published December 6, 2012 5:29 am