Three boys injured in explosion in Coraopolis
Share with others:
Three boys were taken to UPMC Mercy today when a gas can exploded while the children were trying to light a bonfire outside a home in Coraopolis.
Investigators told KDKA-TV four boys were trying to build a bonfire at a home near the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Main Street when one of them placed a flammable liquid -- possibly gasoline -- into a canister and pour it onto a small fire. Neighbors said they heard an explosion and some houses shook.
Georgette Brown told KDKA-TV she heard the explosion and then found her 12-year-old son, Payton Brown, on fire. Ms. Brown said Payton was in critical condition tonight, with burns to his arms, chest and legs and smoke damage to his lungs. She said doctors put him in a medically-induced coma.
Fire officials said two other boys were singed and the fourth was uninjured.
"The four juveniles made a very bad decision on how to start a fire," fire Lt. Rob Cardimen told the station.
Ms. Brown said her son apologized almost immediately.
First Published November 26, 2012 6:15 pm