2 injured in Fayette Co. chemical explosion
Share with others:
Police said two people were injured Wednesday morning in an explosion at a chemical supplier in Connellsville that prompted the evacuation of an entire block.
The incident was reported at 7:08 a.m. at 150 N. 4th St., a building that houses the O.C. Lugo Co. Inc. Police said the explosion occurred when red phosphorus and fiberglass powder, two materials used to make igniters for military oxygen generators, were mixed.
Houses and buildings within a block of the explosion were evacuated as a precaution.
The injured were flown by helicopter to a hospital in Pittsburgh. One man suffered ringing in his ears and smoke and chemical inhalation and the second man injured his hands. Their names were not released.
First Published June 28, 2012 12:11 am