New Castle eighth-grader accused of creating 'kill list'
Share with others:
An eighth-grader at New Castle Junior/Senior High School has been charged with 11 counts of terroristic threats after a student caught the boy creating a "kill list" of students and teachers on a tablet computer, police said.
On March 8, a fellow student saw the boy, 13, writing names in a list titled "[Student's name] Kill List" on the tablet during class, New Castle police Chief Robert Salem said today.
"This is the first time we've had anything written on a computer like this," Chief Salem said.
Nine students and two teachers were on the roster.
The second student told the teacher, who reported it to school officials.
The first student erased the list before authorities confiscated the tablet, prompting them to contact the manufacturer for help retrieving the names.
The list was recovered and the boy was charged Thursday.
Chief Salem said the ongoing investigation will focus on why the students and teachers were named in the list.
Police aren't yet sure whether the boy had previous problems with any of the people he named.
Chief Salem was familiar with the boy, who he said was charged with criminal mischief last year after breaking some windows. The boy is receiving a mental-health evaluation following the charges this week.
First Published March 15, 2013 11:50 am