Many Pittsburgh streets to close for First Night festivities
Share with others:
The city's First Night festivities will cause street closings and bus detours in Downtown starting at 10 a.m. today.
City police provided the following details:
• Stanwix Street will be closed from Liberty Avenue to Penn Avenue and from the Gateway Garage entrance to Penn from 9 tonight to 1 a.m. Tuesday.
• These streets will close from 10 a.m. today to 1 a.m. Tuesday: Penn Avenue from Stanwix Street to 10th Street; Fifth Avenue and CLO Way from the entrance of the Highmark Garage to Fort Duquesne Boulevard; Seventh Street from Liberty Avenue to the entrance of Theater Square Parking Garage; Eighth Street from Liberty Avenue to the parking lot entrances near Penn Avenue; Ninth Street from Liberty Avenue to the entrance of the Ninth and Penn parking garage; and all alleys leading into the closed area.
• The Andy Warhol Bridge also will close from 10 a.m. today to 1 a.m. Tuesday for fireworks setup and display.
• Sixth Street will close from Liberty Avenue to Fort Duquesne Boulevard from 8:15 to 8:45 p.m. for parade activity.
• The garage at Penn Avenue and Sixth Street will be open until 3 p.m. Leaseholders will be able to enter and exit through a staffed barricade on Penn Avenue from 10 a.m. to midnight.
• Rolling closures will occur after the parade starts at 8 p.m. at 10th Street and Fort Duquesne Boulevard and follows 10th, Penn, Sixth Street and Fort Duquesne Boulevard back to the origination point.
The closures will cause detours for about 30 Port Authority bus routes starting at 10 a.m. The transit authority will operate on a regular weekday schedule today and a holiday schedule Tuesday.
More information is available at www.portauthority.org.
First Published December 31, 2012 12:00 am