Duquesne school board presses for answers
Share with others:
Members of the Duquesne City school board Tuesday night announced they are calling a community meeting on Feb. 7 to try to get some answers on the future of the school district.
State officials have said the financially and academically failing K-8 district, which is operated by a state board of control, will likely not exist in its current form next year but have offered no details as to where the students will attend school.
The board of control closed Duquesne High School in June 2007 and students were reassigned to attend either East Allegheny or West Mifflin Area high schools.
At Tuesday's board of control meeting, Connie Lucas, a member of the elected school board, which has little power in the operation of the district, said invitations to the Feb. 7 meeting will be sent to residents, school staff, local elected officials, and state officials, including state Education Secretary Ron Tomalis.
The meeting will take place at 6 p.m. in the auditorium of the Duquesne Elementary/Middle School.
"We want to discuss as a community if the school closes what other alternatives do we have," Ms. Lucas said.
"We are getting tired of being left in limbo with no answers," said Calvina Harris, vice president of the school board.
Tim Eller, spokesman for the state education department, said department officials were unaware of the Feb. 7 meeting and he could not comment on whether the secretary or anyone else from the department would attend.
Also at Tuesday night's meeting, Francis Barnes, a former state education secretary, participated via telephone as the new board of control chairman replacing Juan Baughn. No announcement was made about Mr. Barnes' appointment to residents who attended the meeting.
After the meeting, Mr. Eller said that Mr. Tomalis appointed Mr. Barnes earlier this month to replace Dr. Baughn, who had asked to be relieved of his duties on the board.
First Published January 25, 2012 12:00 am