All charges dropped against prison guard
Share with others:
Former corrections officer Jerome J. Lynch expected to face trial on seven counts of alleged abuse of inmates Tuesday, but instead saw all charges dropped after a prosecutor concluded that the evidence wasn't enough to convict.
Mr. Lynch, 36, of the North Side said he wants to return to work at the State Correctional Institution Pittsburgh, from which he was suspended 22 months ago as a result of inmate allegations of abuse on F Block. He said he "absolutely" intends to return.
Department of Corrections investigators probed F Block after an inmate alleged that an officer made a sexual demand. The investigation has so far resulted in convictions of former officers Harry F. Nicoletti Jr. and Tory Kelly and the dismissal or withdrawal of charges against four men, including Mr. Lynch.
Mr. Lynch is among eight fired or demoted prison officers who have sued Department of Corrections officials in U.S. District Court alleging violations of their rights stemming from the investigation.
First Published February 6, 2013 12:00 am