Pittsburgh Symphony Pops unveils 2013-14 season
Brian Stokes Mitchell, Ann Hampton Callaway and Megan Hilty will join the Pittsburgh Symphony Pops next season.
Share with others:
Next season the Pittsburgh Symphony Pops will be without beloved conductor Marvin Hamlisch not only on stage but as a programmer. Today, the PSO released the details of its 2013-14 season, the first put together by someone other than Hamlisch in the past decade and a half.
The season will open with a bang, as Tony Award winner Brian Stokes Mitchell will sing Broadway tunes, including songs from many musicals the baritone has performed on the biggest stages, including "Kiss Me Kate" and "Man of La Mancha."
Next, singer-songwriter Ann Hampton Callaway sings the songs that Barbra Streisand made famous, followed by the ever popular Holiday Pops.
2014 opens with a weekend of concerts devoted to the film music of John Williams and an in-depth listen to the music of Kander & Ebb. The cartoon world comes alive in performances of music from classic Warner Bros. comic shorts, and the season concludes with Megan Hilty of "Smash" fame singing songs of Frank Sinatra and from musicals such as "Wicked."
Seven-concert subscriptions range from $122.50 to $659.75. Tickets: 412-392-4900; www.pittsburghsymphony.org.
PSO Pops 2013-14 season
All concerts at Heinz Hall, Downtown.
• "Broadway and Beyond," Brian Stokes Mitchell, vocalist; Ted Sperling, conductor. Oct. 17-20.
• "The Streisand Songbook," Ann Hampton Callaway, vocalist; Fawzi Haimor, conductor. Nov. 14-17.
• "Highmark Holiday Pops," Todd Ellison, conductor, Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh. Dec. 12-15.
• "The Music of John Williams," Lawrence Loh, conductor. Jan. 23-26, 2014.
• "All That Jazz: A Symphonic Celebration of Kander & Ebb," Jack Everly, conductor. March 6-9, 2014.
• "Bugs Bunny at the Symphony II," George Daugherty, conductor. April 10-13, 2014.
• "Luck Be a Lady," Megan Hilty, vocalist; Steven Reineke, conductor. June 19-22, 2014.
The PSO also announced two special concerts of pops music that are not in the subscription package. Tony Award-winning vocalist Idina Menzel sings Broadway favorites with the PSO on July 21, 2013, and the PSO performs the soundtrack to the movie musical "West Side Story," with original vocals and dialogue intact, March 28-30, 2014.
First Published February 3, 2013 12:00 am