NFL Notebook: Three ejected after late on-field brawl

Share with others:

Print Email Read Later

Two Raiders and one Bengal were ejected for an on-field brawl in the fourth quarter of Cincinnati's 34-10 victory against Oakland Sunday, leaving them in line for major fines.

A scrum started when one of Cincinnati's plays was blown dead because of a false start. Defensive end Lamarr Houston tackled quarterback Andy Dalton, apparently unaware of the whistle. Bengals left tackle Andrew Whitworth ran up to Houston, their facemasks hit and the brawl was on.

Whitworth and Houston were ejected, along with Raiders defensive tackle Tommy Kelly for coming off the bench to join in. Kelly and Houston ended up on top of Whitworth.

"I think it's OK to play with anger," Raiders coach Dennis Allen said after the game. "But we've got to play with poise and composure. We lost our poise a little bit."

Whitworth implied the Raiders were frustrated, saying, "They were probably looking for a fight because they weren't doing much on the field."


A 17-9 win against Kansas City allowed Peyton Manning to break a tie with his boss and Broncos vice president John Elway with his 149th win as a starting quarterback, trailing only Brett Favre (186) for most in NFL history.


Indianapolis head coach Chuck Pagano received a standing ovation from the Lucas Oil Stadium crowd with 11:23 left in the fourth quarter when team owner Jim Irsay walked outside his owner's box with Pagano and the two waved to the crowd. It was the second home game in a row Pagano attended. He watched the last game from the coach's box. Pagano, who has lost his hair as he undergoes chemotherapy, has not been involved with the usual day-to-day operations since being diagnosed with leukemia Sept. 26. His doctor said earlier this month that the cancer was in complete remission. Between the third and fourth quarters, two Colts cheerleaders shaved their heads after a fundraising drive raised more than $22,000 for leukemia research.


Wide receiver Marques Colston scored the 56th touchdown of his career in the Saints' loss to San Francisco, passing New Orleans' all-time leading rusher Deuce McAllister for the club record. Colston, a seventh-round draft choice out of Hofstra in 2006, surpassed McAllister with a 10-yard reception over the middle in the second quarter.


Running back Leon Washington returned a kickoff for a touchdown for the eighth time in his career to tie the NFL record held by Cleveland wide receiver Josh Cribbs. The score put Seattle ahead with eight minutes remaining, but the Dolphins went on to win, 24-21.


Ernie Warlick, among pro football's first pass-catching tight ends and a member of Buffalo's two AFL championship teams in the 1960s, has died after a brief illness. Warlick, who was 80, died Saturday at his home in Williamsville, N.Y. The cause of death was not immediately known. In four seasons with Buffalo, Warlick, who earned the nickname "Hands," finished with 90 catches for 1,551 yards and four touchdowns in helping the Bills win AFL titles in '64 and '65.


Stadium lawn sprinklers briefly showered the Dolphins and Seahawks in the third quarter of their game. On a cloudless afternoon, the sprinklers came on between plays and covered most of the field, drawing a cheer from the crowd and causing a brief delay. The sprinklers were quickly turned off, and players toweled off before the action resumed.



Latest NFL News

You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here