Corbett 'disappointed' with former Penn State administration
Makes first detailed remarks on Freeh report
July 19, 2012 9:30 PM
By Laura Olson Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
HARRISBURG -- In his first detailed remarks on the Penn State Freeh report, Gov. Tom Corbett today expressed disappointment with the university's prior administration for a lack of cooperation with the state attorney general's office.
Following an event near the state Capitol this morning, Mr. Corbett spoke about the report from former FBI director Louis Freeh for the first time since he had been able to review that document.
Mr. Corbett, who began the investigation into former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky during his tenure as state attorney general, told reporters that he has read about two-thirds of the Freeh report.
He described it as a "pretty thorough" document, adding that he will be talking to his fellow Penn State trustees about his specific reactions before revealing them publicly.
As for the emails that Mr. Freeh's team discovered and released that were not found by his former office, the governor stopped short of calling the failure of the previous university president, Graham Spanier, and other individuals to release all relevant emails an instance of obstructing justice.
But he did say he is "very disappointed in the lack of forthcoming evidence to the subpoena that was given to them by the attorney general."
"Let's take a look at the obvious facts: There was a change in control," Mr. Corbett said, referencing the November decision by trustees to replace Mr. Spanier. "The board was in a position to say we need this information, and to direct the new administration to comply. Basically, open up the doors. And I think that's what happened."
"The prior administration, they made decisions as to how they would deliver and what they would deliver," he continued, with a reference to the state attorney general's office, "I'm sure that is the subject of much discussion on the 16th floor of Strawberry Square."
Attorney General Linda Kelly has has not commented about the emails that were obtained by the Freeh investigators.
Mr. Spanier is one of four individuals -- along with former head coach Joe Paterno, retired vice president Gary Schultz and athletic director Tim Curley -- identified in the Freeh report as enabling the sexual-abuse incidents by Mr. Sandusky to be hidden from the public for years.
Mr. Schultz and Mr. Curley are awaiting trial on charges of perjury and failure to report abuse. Mr. Spanier has not been charged, and remains on sabbatical.