West Allegheny has had some good boys soccer teams in recent years, including the one that won the WPIAL Class AA championship last season.
Tuesday, however, the Indians did something they had not accomplished in at least a quarter-century: Win at Quaker Valley.
Michael Cummings and Dan Aromando scored first-half goals, and No. 2-ranked West Allegheny held on to defeat host Quaker Valley, 2-1, in a Section 5 opener.
West Allegheny (2-0, 1-0) went 1-0-1 against Quaker Valley (0-2-1, 0-1) last season.
Other boys soccer
- Mario Mastroangelo scored two goals and his twin brother, Nicco, scored once to help Class AAA No. 1 Peters Township (2-0, 1-0) blank host Mt. Lebanon (0-3, 0-1), 3-0, in a non-section match.
- Connor McCandless and Matt Saluga scored for Class AAA No. 5 Seneca Valley (3-0, 1-0) in a 2-1 home win against North Allegheny (0-2, 0-1) in Section 2.
- Justin Minda's two goals vaulted Class AA No. 1 South Park (2-0, 1-0) to a 4-0 victory against visiting Thomas Jefferson in Section 3. Minda has five goals this season.
- Class A No. 1 Carlynton (2-0) got two goals from Manny Burton and three assists from Logan Schuler in a 6-1 non-section win against Riverside (0-1).
Stars of the night
- Charleroi's Jeremiah Hyatt scored a hat trick to push the Cougars (1-1-1, 1-0) to an 8-0 win at Washington (0-1, 0-1) in Class A Section 4. Hyatt, a senior, was an all-section goalkeeper last season, but has since moved to forward.
- Aaron Harris scored four goals and added an assist for McGuffey (2-1, 1-0) in a 6-0 win against visiting Uniontown (1-2, 0-1) in Class AA Section 6. Harris scored 24 goals last season.
- Sabrina Edwards had two goals and an assist to lift Class AA No. 4 Mars (1-1, 1-0) to a 4-1 win at Highlands (1-2, 0-1) in Section 2.
- Selena Canello's goal midway through the second half gave Keystone Oaks (1-0) a 3-2 non-section win at Steel Valley (0-1). Julia Canello scored the Golden Eagles' other two goals.
- Jake Sollon fired a 2-under 32 at St. Clair Country Club to lift Peters Township to a 182-198 win against Upper St. Clair in Class AAA Section 7.
- Zach Taylor's 3-under 33 at Scenic Valley Golf Course propelled Baldwin to a 203-215 victory against Bethel Park in Class AAA Section 6.
- Hampton's Matt Ramsey shot an even-par 35 at Pittsburgh North Golf Course to lead the Talbots to a 183-203 win against Plum in Class AAA Section 8.
- Nick Cuny and Jake Smithco shot even-par 35s at Cranberry Highlands Golf Course to help Central Catholic beat Seneca Valley, 193-194, in a non-section match.
- Isabel Siergiej and Megan Little each notched hat tricks in leading host Penn-Trafford to a 7-0 non-section win against Woodland Hills. Siergiej is a Cornell recruit.
- Oakland Catholic got three goals from Natalie Frost in an 8-2 win against visiting Upper St. Clair in Class AAA Section 2.