A team that annually is among the highest scoring in the WPIAL was held scoreless Friday night for an entire quarter.
Chartiers Valley, though, still found a way to win.
Jerrad Tuite had a game-high 21 points and Class AAA No. 1 Chartiers Valley held off Canon-McMillan, 56-50, in the Ambridge tournament.
Chartiers Valley (7-0) had scored at least 83 points in its previous three games, but was outscored by Canon-McMillan (3-4), 14-0, in the third quarter.
Ahead, 36-35, Chartiers Valley outscored Canon-McMillan, 20-15, in the fourth to pull out a win.
Caleb Zajiceck had four 3-pointers among his 14 points for Chartiers Valley.
Sam Bohn led Canon-McMillan with 14 points.
Other top games
- Class AAAA No. 3 North Allegheny (8-0) used a 13-0 run in the third quarter to defeat Class AA No. 3 Greensburg Central Catholic (6-1), 76-53, in the Gateway tournament. Mike Carter led North Allegheny with 18 points.
- Malik Hooker scored 26 points and Anthony Richards added 19 to lead Class AAAA No. 1 New Castle (7-0) to an 87-59 triumph against Blackhawk (3-5) in the C.J. Betters Tournament at Community College of Beaver County’s Golden Dome.
- Delvon Randall (16 points) led a quartet of Gateway players scoring in double figures as the Class AAAA No. 3 Gators (7-2) slipped past Jeannette (5-3), 60-58, in overtime in the Gateway tournament.
- Class AA No. 2 Beaver Falls (7-1) bounced back from its first loss by defeating Mars (4-3), 75-65, in the C.J. Betters Tournament. Dan Stratton paced Beaver Falls with 27 points.
- Javaughn Moultrie scored 21 points to lead City League No. 2 Allderdice (5-1) to a 59-56 overtime victory against South Fayette (3-1) in the Peters Township tournament.
- Quorteze Levy scored 23 points and DeQuay Isbel added 18 to help Washington (7-1) edge West Allegheny (5-3), 77-71, in the West Allegheny tournament. Mike Miara led the Indians with 27 points.
- Dane Jackson scored 33 points, including seven in overtime, to help Cornell (6-2) edge South Allegheny (5-4), 64-60, in the Carlynton tournament. Cornell was 14 of 14 from the free-throw line in overtime.
- Vincentian junior Ryan Wolf scored his 1,000th career point in helping the Class A No. 2 Royals (8-0) topple Serra Catholic (2-5), 101-81, in the St. Joseph tournament. Wolf scored 27 points and has 1,008 in his career.
Stars of the night
- Zach Gould had 38 points, including the go-ahead 3-pointer with 28 seconds left in the second overtime, to lift Riverside (4-5) to a 77-75 win against South Park (3-6) in the Shady Side Academy tournament.
- Sven Zepic converted six 3-pointers and scored 16 of his game-high 22 points in the second half to lift Baldwin (2-7) to a 59-56 win against Kiski Area (5-3) in the Hampton tournament.
- Players with five or more 3-pointers: Max Kaminsky, Serra Catholic, 7; Sven Zepic, Baldwin, 6; Javaughn Moultrie, Allderdice, 5; Stephon McGinnis, Ambridge, 5; Reed Relosky, Bishop Canevin, 5; Anthony Richards, New Castle, 5; Zach Gould, Riverside, 5; Zac Horner, West Shamokin, 5; Josh Sterner, Yough, 5.