Freeport discovered what four other teams this season already know -- the Shady Side Academy defense is stout.
The Class AA No. 5 Indians (5-0, 5-0) notched their third shutout of the season, beating the visiting Yellowjackets (1-4, 1-4), 28-0, in the Class AA Allegheny Conference.
For the season, Shady Side Academy has allowed 22 points, for an average of 4.4 per game.
Chuck Calabrese led the way on both sides of the ball. The senior signal-caller ran in a touchdown from 2 yards out and threw a 37-yard touchdown pass to Matt O'Connor. Defensively, Calabrese led the Indians with 12 tackles.
Jarred Brevard led Shady Side Academy in rushing with 113 yards on eight carries, including an 8-yard score.
Jackson Fitzgerald had the Indians' other score on a 25-yard interception return.
• South Allegheny 28, Burgettstown 6: Ty Cook passed for 181 yards and a touchdown and ran for two scores to lead the Gladiators to a Class AA Century Conference victory against the host Blue Devils. Cook scored on runs of 27 and 6 yards and his touchdown pass went for 50 yards to Kordell Thompson.
• Fox Chapel 34, Shaler 14: Billy Urso threw for 191 yards and three touchdowns to lead the Foxes (1-4, 1-3) past the host Titans (0-5, 0-4) in the Class AAA Northern Eight Conference. Urso connected with Greg Yaksich on scores of 31 and 5 yards and David Brown on a 14-yard touchdown.
• Linsly School, W.Va. 26, Allderdice 7: Chimechi Oparanozie had 90 yards rushing and scored twice to lead the host Cadets (3-2) to a victory against the Dragons (2-2). Trevon Williams led Allderdice with 14 carries for 86 yards and a touchdown.
• Joel Hart scored a hat trick to help Class AAA No. 1 Upper St. Clair (11-0-1, 8-0-1) rally from an early deficit to notch a home win against No. 2 Canon-McMillan (9-1-2, 5-1-2), 4-1, in Section 5.
• Adam Richert scored the first goal of the season against South Fayette and it turned out to be the difference as visiting Quaker Valley (7-4-1, 5-3-0) beat the Class AA No. 2 Lions (11-1-1, 7-1-1), 1-0, in Section 5. Quakers goalkeeper Winter Fondi notched the shutout.
• Nick Jewell scored in the 28th minute to give North Allegheny (9-2) a 1-0 non-section win against host Kiski Area (8-4).
• Logan Schuler scored five goals to lead host Carlynton (9-4, 7-2) to a 5-0 victory against North Catholic (1-9, 0-8) in Class A Section 3.
• Nicole Walters scored two goals to help Seneca Valley (11-2) take down Class AAA No. 2 Peters Township (10-3), 3-0, at the Peters Township tournament. The game was a rematch of the 2012 WPIAL championship and PIAA quarterfinals, both won by the Indians.
• Emma Whelan scored the tying and winning goals for Class A No. 5 Springdale (9-3) in a 4-3 overtime non-section win against visiting Oakland Catholic (4-6).hsfootball - hssoccer
First Published September 29, 2013 4:00 AM