Despite an early deficit entering the second quarter of its season-opening game, Seton-La Salle responded resoundingly.
Senior running back Tom Rizza accounted for four touchdowns, three rushing and one passing, as the Rebels defeated visiting South Allegheny, 40-3, in a Class AA Century Conference matchup.
The 40 points scored after trailing, 3-0, were the most Seton-La Salle has recorded in a game since a 49-7 win against Burgettstown Oct. 6, 2012.
Junior running back Rick Mellick got the scoring barrage started with a 3-yard touchdown run. Rizza followed that with his first touchdown and senior wide receiver James Ross caught an 11-yard touchdown pass to finish off a 21-point second quarter for the Rebels.
Rizza, who rushed for 550 yards on 102 carries last season, added three more touchdowns in the second half.
• Aliquippa 44, Ambridge 13: Senior Dravon Henry had three touchdowns, including an 85-yard kickoff return, and the Quips outscored the Bridgers, 19-0, in the second half en route to a non-conference victory. Sophomore Kaezon Pugh added two touchdowns for Aliquippa.
• Wilkinsburg 14, Leechburg 13: Freshman Ramere Brown returned a fumble recovery 4 yards for a fourth-quarter touchdown that, after a 2-point conversion, lifted the host Tigers past the Blue Devils in a Class A Eastern Conference matchup.
• Bishop Canevin 31, United 3: Senior Tyler Reddy rushed for two touchdowns as the visiting Crusaders scored 31 unanswered points to defeat the Lions. The Crusaders played the Indiana County school because of a scheduling gap created by Imani Christian's football program folding.
• Northgate 18, Riverview 13: The Flames got a 2-yard touchdown run from sophomore Alex Marusic with 11 seconds left to defeat the Raiders in a Class A Eastern Conference matchup. Quarterback Johnny Camello had two touchdowns.
• Avella 37, Vincentian 8: Junior Nick Kusich ran for two touchdowns, junior Santino Paris passed for a touchdown and rushed for another and the Eagles defeated the Royals in non-conference action.
• Neshannock 56, Western Beaver 7: Behind a 27-point first quarter and three touchdowns from senior Ernie Burkes, two passing and one rushing, the Lancers defeated the Golden Beavers in the Class A Big Seven Conference.
• Westinghouse 40, Buckeye Local 0: Senior Rapheal Drummond rushed for four touchdowns and senior Troy Smith had two touchdown passes, leading the Bulldogs past the Panthers in a non-conference game.hsfootball