High school highlights: North Catholic moves on in style
February 7, 2014 12:01 AM
Bishop Canevin's Gina Vallecorsa, left, looks to pass around Seton-LaSalle defenders Naje Gibson and Nicolete Newman in the first half Thursday night.
From local dispatches
The Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic girls basketball team departed Don Graham Court for the last time in style.
In their final home game before moving to their new school next season, the Class A No. 4 Trojannettes (15-6, 10-2) got a layup from Abby Goetz as time expired to beat No. 1 Vincentian (17-3, 11-1), 53-51.
The loss broke a 23-game section winning streak for Vincentian.
The Royals previous section defeat came Feb. 9, 2012, at North Catholic.
The Royals were led by 17 points from Brenna Wise. Sam Breen scored a game-high 21 points for North Catholic, while Goetz added 17.
Other top girls games
* Baldwin (12-7, 6-6) handed Class AAAA No. 3 Bethel Park (15-4, 8-4) its third consecutive loss, 63-61, in Section 4. Mandy Johnston led the visiting Highlanders with 19 points.
* Led by Christine Ehland's 18 points, Class AAAA No. 4 Mt. Lebanon (15-5, 10-2) clinched its seventh Section 4 title in a row with a 53-40 win against visiting Upper St. Clair (13-6, 8-4).
* Shaniya Rivers scored 23 points to help Class AAA No. 4 Hopewell (18-3, 10-2) beat host Central Valley (13-7, 8-4), 52-42, in Section 2. Kiana Law had 17 points for Central Valley.
* Yacine Diop scored 18 points to lead Class AA No. 1 Seton-LaSalle (18-3, 12-0) to a 63-51 road win against No. 3 Bishop Canevin (16-5, 9-2) in Section 4.
Girls hot shots
* Players with four or more 3-pointers: Sierra Kotchman, Trinity, 6; Kayla Brownlee, Keystone Oaks, 5; Mandy Johnston, Baldwin, 4; Monique Redman, Jeannette, 4; Rachel Czulewicz, McGuffey, 4.
* Fort Cherry's Rachel Bellhy scored 22 points to give her 1,013 for her career in a 40-37 victory for the Rangers (12-6, 7-5) against host Chartiers-Houston (12-8, 5-7) in Class AA Section 4. Bellhy is the fourth member of her family to eclipse the 1,000-point mark.
* Keystone Oaks' Maryssa Agurs scored eight points to give her 1,000 career points in a 54-52 win for the Golden Eagles (9-12, 5-7) against host Montour (0-20, 0-12) in Class AAA Section 5.
* Emily Knepshield of Kittanning (14-6, 8-3) hit the 1,000-point mark for her career in a 46-29 loss against host Hampton (14-7, 11-1) in Class AAA Section 1.
* Mount Pleasant's Ryan Gumbita scored 19 points to give him 1,003 for his career in a 73-55 victory for the Vikings (13-6) against visiting East Allegheny (0-19) in non-section.
To report inappropriate comments, abuse and/or repeat offenders, please send an email to
email@example.com and include a link to the article and a copy of the comment. Your report will be reviewed in a timely manner.