High school highlights: Blackhawk bounces back for win
January 30, 2014 11:49 PM
Mars' Jessica Bunner, left, goes up for a layup against Hampton's Amanda Reese.
From local dispatches
Coming off a rare loss the previous day, Class AAA No. 1 Blackhawk (16-2, 9-1) rebounded Thursday night with a 59-50 victory against Ambridge (10-7, 4-6) in Section 2.
The Cougars lost by 18 points against Seton-LaSalle Wednesday and were trailing the Bridgers by two after the first quarter.
But Blackhawk came back in the second quarter to lead by seven heading into halftime.
Chassidy Omogrosso led the Cougars with 17 points, and Courtney Vannoy added 13 points and 15 rebounds.
Sydney Rabold led Ambridge with 16 points.
Other top girls games
* Class AAAA No. 1 North Allegheny (16-1, 10-0) notched its 15th consecutive victory, defeating host Pine-Richland (12-7, 5-6), 62-37, in Section 3. Devvin LeBarge and Meg Morningstar led the Tigers with 15 and 12 points, respectively.
* Hampton's Lexi Griggs had 12 points, 10 rebounds and 7 blocks as the Talbots (12-7, 9-1) took over first place in Class AAA Section 1 with a 34-26 victory against visiting Mars (12-6, 8-1).
* Allderdice's Sierra Fordham scored 22 points to give her 1,006 points for her career, but the host Dragons (5-10), ranked third in the City League, fell to Class AAAA No. 2 Bethel Park, 65-44.
* Taylor Thomas of West Mifflin scored 16 points to give her 1,003 for her career in a 71-25 victory for the host Titans (12-6, 7-4) against Waynesburg (2-15, 0-10) in Class AAA Section 4.
* Alexis Yanief of Thomas Jefferson (10-8, 5-5) went over 1,000 points for her career in a 41-38 loss against visiting Belle Vernon (15-4, 8-2) in Class AAA Section 4. Yanief scored 26 points in the game to give her 1,013 for her career.
* Burrell's Sydney Bordonaro, a junior, scored 23 points to give her exactly 1,000 for her career as the Class AA No. 1 Bucs (19-0, 10-0) beat visiting West Shamokin (11-8, 7-3), 77-30, in Section 1.
* Olivia Lorusso of host Canon-McMillan (8-12, 4-7) scored her 1,000th point during a 72-60 loss against Upper St. Clair (12-4, 7-3). Lorusso scored 20 points and has 1,003 for her career.
Stars of the night
* Seairra Barrett of Central Valley had 32 points, 15 rebounds and 10 assists as the Warriors (13-5, 8-2) crushed visiting Ellwood City (6-15, 1-10), 69-37, in Class AAA Section 2
* Dayna Rouse of Ellis School (7-11, 4-6) scored 18 points, grabbed 17 rebounds and blocked 10 shots in a 46-31 victory against Trinity Christian (3-12, 1-8) in Class A Section 2.
Girls hot shots
* Players with five or more 3-pointers: Malaysha Pettisord, Clairton 5; Darrian Johnson, New Castle, 5.
Top boys game
* Kason Harrell scored 30 points to lift Class AAAA No. 5 Hempfield (16-2) to a 72-59 road win against Class A No. 3 Monessen (12-5). The Spartans' Michael Nauman had a triple-double with 11 points, 13 rebounds, and 11 assists.
To report inappropriate comments, abuse and/or repeat offenders, please send an email to
email@example.com and include a link to the article and a copy of the comment. Your report will be reviewed in a timely manner.