A strong finish has given Central Catholic a section championship.
The No. 4 Vikings locked up the Class AAAA Section 2 title Friday by winning its eighth game in a row, 64-45, at Fox Chapel.
The Vikings (16-5, 12-2) edged out Gateway (14-5, 11-3) and Fox Chapel (15-6, 10-4) in a heated race that came down to the final night of section play.
Canon-McMillan 62, Peters Township 49
Canon-McMillan takes on Peters Township during Friday night basketball action. (Video by Andrew Rush; 2/9/2013)
Beaver 73, Blackhawk 61
Beaver takes on Blackhawk in Friday night high school basketball action. (Video by Lucas Good; 2/8/2013)
Sam Calhoun scored 23 points for Central Catholic, including eight in the fourth quarter when the Vikings outscored Fox Chapel, 19-4.
Garret Vrbanic added 19 points for the Vikings.
Matt D'Amico led Fox Chapel with 26 points. The Foxes lost Tuesday to Plum at home.
Other top boys games
• Class AAAA No. 1 New Castle (21-0, 14-0) was held to its lowest point total of the season, but outlasted host No. 4 Hampton (18-4, 10-4), 54-50, in Section 3. New Castle led by two in the final minute before Malik Hooker iced the game with two free throws. Shawn Anderson led New Castle with 17 points and Ryan Luther had 21 for Hampton. New Castle had won all of its previous games by at least 16 points.
• Aaron Barlow's 26 points led Beaver (17-3, 10-2) to a 73-61 win at Blackhawk (12-9, 8-4) in Class AAA Section 2. Beaver shared the section title with No. 4 Central Valley (16-6, 10-2), which won at Hopewell (3-18, 2-10), 77-51.
• Uniontown (16-3, 10-2) grabbed a share of the Class AAA Section 3 championship by defeating visiting Laurel Highlands (15-6, 10-2), 67-53. Jordan Pratt paced Uniontown with 21 points.
• Class AA No. 2 Greensburg Central Catholic (20-1, 12-0) won its 12th game in a row and earned the outright Section 3 title with a 52-45 triumph against visiting No. 4 Jeannette (17-3, 10-2). Zach Herman scored 19 points for the Centurions.
• Pete Spagnolo's layup in the closing seconds gave Burrell (15-6, 8-2) a split of the Class AA Section 1 title after a 47-46 win at Deer Lakes (16-6, 8-2). Spagnolo finished with 20 points.
• Despite being ineligible for the WPIAL playoffs, Imani Christian (11-7, 9-1) captured the Class A Section 4 title, as the Saints raced to a 17-point halftime lead and held on to edge host Wilkinsburg (11-9, 8-2), 81-77. Troy Simons led the Saints with 30 points.
• Brett Haney's 26 points helped give Canon-McMillan (11-11, 6-8) a playoff berth after a 62-49 win against visiting Peters Township (8-13, 5-9) in Class AAAA Section 4.
Boys hot shots
• Players who made five or more 3-pointers: Jordan Williams, East Allegheny, 7; Lorenzo Abner, Summit Academy, 7; Rob Julian, Montour, 6; Markel Peace, Union, 6; Matty McConnell, Chartiers Valley, 5; Dereck Riggleman, Mapletown, 5; Cory Sevacko, Keystone Oaks, 5; Joe Mancini, North Allegheny, 5; Curtis Perz, Norwin, 5; Shakeem Cox, Perry, 5.
Top girls game
• Baldwin (10-11, 5-7) gained a playoff spot by upsetting Class AAAA No. 2 Bethel Park (18-3, 10-2), 46-38, in Section 4. Mandi Johnston scored 18 points for the host Highlanders.
• Delrika Jones-Carey scored 21 points to give her 1,010 for her career, but Woodland Hills (7-15, 3-9) lost at Penn Hills (9-13, 5-7), 50-33, in Class AAAA Section 2.
Girls hot shots
• Players who made five or more 3-pointers: Sydnee Abernathy, Allderdice, 5.mobilehome - hsbasketball