In a postseason that had already seen a few notable strikeout performances by star pitchers, Beaver's Austin Logan added his name to the list Wednesday.
Logan pitched a two-hitter with 17 strikeouts to lead No. 2 Beaver to a 6-0 win against No. 10 Laurel in a WPIAL Class AA quarterfinal at Pullman Park in Butler.
Logan allowed two walks and improved his record to 6-1.
The outing followed up first-round efforts by Hempfield's Zack Martinelli (18 strikeouts) and Blackhawk's Brendan McKay (16).
Beaver (15-3) scored five runs in the fifth inning to break open a close game and defeat Section 5 rival Laurel (11-7) for the third time this season.
Nick Hinman and Matt Rost had two hits apiece for Beaver, which has won six games in a row.
Other Class AA
• Shady Side Academy 2, Chartiers-Houston 1: Jake Kleindl hit a two-out, two-run single in the bottom of the seventh to help No. 14 Shady Side Academy (14-7) edge No. 11 Chartiers-Houston (12-8) at Upper St. Clair.
• Quaker Valley 6, Freeport 1: Jake Pilewicz tossed a one-hitter and retired 17 consecutive batters at one point in leading No. 1 Quaker Valley (20-0) to the win against No. 9 Freeport (12-4) at Fox Chapel.
• Deer Lakes 4, Greensburg Central Catholic 3: Just as it did in the first round, No. 4 Deer Lakes (17-3) advanced with a one-run win, this time against No. 12 Greensburg C.C. (13-6) at Fox Chapel.
• North Allegheny 5, Plum 0: Mitch Machi and James Meeker combined on the shutout for the No. 2 Tigers (18-4) in the victory against the No. 10 Mustangs (15-7) at Shaler. Matt Waugaman's RBI single in the first inning was all the offense the Tigers needed.
• Hempfield 7, Canon-McMillan 3: Winning pitcher Greg Martin went 3 for 4 with three RBIs to lead No. 3 Hempfield (19-3) to the win against No. 6 Canon-McMillan (12-8) at North Allegheny.
• Pine-Richland 4, Central Catholic 3: J.T. Riley's run-scoring single in the eighth gave No. 4 Pine-Richland (17-4) the victory against No. 5 Central Catholic (17-5) at North Allegheny.
• South Park 6, Thomas Jefferson 0: Randy Dobnak hit a three-run home run and Greg Pantuso added a two-run homer to help the No. 1 Eagles (22-0) eliminate No. 9 Thomas Jefferson (13-9) at Burkett Complex in Robinson.
• Hopewell 13, Blackhawk 1: Joe Kunzmann and Tim Hughes each had three RBIs for No. 2 Hopewell (19-3), which used a seven-run fourth to defeat No. 7 Blackhawk (10-7) at Burkett Complex.
• West Allegheny 4, Trinity 2: Colin Claus pitched a complete game with 10 strikeouts to lead the No. 6 Indians (17-5) to the win against No. 14 Trinity (10-9) at Burkett Complex.
• Keystone Oaks 4, Chartiers Valley 3: Ryan Rosato's two-run single highlighted a four-run fourth for the No. 5 Golden Eagles (17-4), who won their rubber match with Section 3 foe and No. 4 seed Chartiers Valley (17-5) at Upper St. Clair.
• Serra Catholic 10, Bishop Canevin 1: David Glumac had three RBIs, including a two-run triple in the first, to lead No. 1 Serra (18-1) to the win against No. 9 Bishop Canevin (8-6) at West Mifflin.
• California 6, Riverview 4: The No. 6 seed Trojans (17-4) capitalized on nine walks by Riverview pitcher Anthony Malky to defeat the No. 3 Raiders (15-3) at West Mifflin. California's Josh Luko had two doubles and an RBI.
• Our Lady of the Sacred Heart 5, Union 1: Winning pitcher Preston Falascino struck out 10 and Dan Bechek hit a two-run triple in the fourth in leading the No. 2 seed Chargers (18-2) to the victory against No. 10 Union (13-6) at Pullman Park.
• Western Beaver 6, Carmichaels 1: Steve Menich drove in three runs to help No. 5 Western Beaver (16-2) win its 16th game in a row with the victory against No. 4 Carmichaels (13-4) at Chartiers Valley.mobilehome - hsbaseball