The previous time the Steel Valley baseball team won a section title, none of its current players were born.
To them, what ensued after the game might Monday have felt like a birthday celebration.
Steel Valley clinched its first section championship since 1994 by defeating visiting Shady Side Academy, 10-4.
Steel Valley (10-5, 10-2) and Shady Side Academy (12-5, 9-3) had been tied in Class AA Section 4 heading into the section finale.
Winning pitcher Brandon Donovan pitched a complete game and struck out 10 to improve to 6-0. He also went 2 for 4 with an RBI.
Derek Morrison went 2 for 3 with two RBIs for Steel Valley, which scored five runs in the second and three in the sixth.
Other top baseball games
• Brendan McKay fired a nine-inning no-hitter with 14 strikeouts for Blackhawk (8-6, 6-4) in a 1-0 Class AAA Section 1 win against visiting West Allegheny (14-5, 6-4). McKay improved to 6-0 with 85 strikeouts, and has allowed only one earned run in 46 innings. Joe Campagna singled in Rich Rowe for the only run.
• Class AAA No. 1 South Park (20-0, 12-0) closed out an undefeated regular season with a 5-2 victory against visiting Ringgold (3-12, 1-11) in Section 4. South Park's Shane Fetsko had two RBIs.
• California (14-4, 8-2) handed Class A No. 4 Carmichaels (12-3, 9-1) its first Section 1 loss, 8-7. Michael Luketich drove in the winning run in the sixth for the host Trojans.
• Jake Terrick had three hits and two RBIs to help Elizabeth Forward (13-6, 7-5) earn a playoff berth with a 10-8 win against visiting Belle Vernon (11-8, 7-5) in Class AAA Section 4.
Baseball top performer
• Nathan Mori went 3 for 4 with three RBIs to help host Hempfield (14-3, 10-2) clinch the outright Class AAAA Section 2 title with a 7-4 victory against Latrobe (7-9, 6-6).
Top softball games
• Aimee Miller pitched a one-hitter and Josie Buckley hit a pair of solo home runs to lead Class A No. 5 Sto-Rox (13-4, 12-2) to a 13-0, five-inning win at Bishop Canevin (9-6, 9-5). Sto-Rox's win allowed Sewickley Academy to qualify for the playoffs.
• Kirsten Wilson threw a one-hitter with 11 strikeouts for Class AA No. 3 Riverside (14-0) in a 1-0 non-section win at Class A No. 1 Neshannock (15-2). Losing pitcher Madison Shaffer allowed two hits and struck out 12.
• Alayna Astuto and Kayla Kiger combined on a two-hitter and Olivia Lorusso had four RBIs for Class AAAA No. 1 Canon-McMillan (16-1) in an 11-0 non-section win in six innings at Ringgold (8-8).
Softball top performer
• Abby Suhoski drove in four runs and hit a home run and the winning two-run double in the sixth to lead host Baldwin (10-7) to an 8-7 victory against Class AAA No. 3 Elizabeth Forward (15-4) in a non-section game.hsbaseball