High school highlights: Aliquippa softball ends 3,269-day drought
April 17, 2014 11:53 PM
Matt Freed / Post-Gazette
Montour's Trent Vietmeier gets into second base safely against Ambridge's Shawn Holman Thursday night.
From local dispatches
It had been 3,269 days since the Aliquippa softball team won a game.
But on Thursday, the Quips finally tasted victory again.
Shania Walker hit a walkoff single in the bottom of the seventh inning to give Aliquippa (1-4, 1-4) a 10-9 victory against Western Beaver (2-3, 2-3) in Class A Section 4.
The victory was the Quips' first since May 5, 2005, a span of 133 games.
Donna Gilbert was the winning pitcher, striking out 11. Walker finished 2 for 3 with an RBI.
Other top softball games
* Kai Gooden went 3 for 3 with two triples and two runs scored and her sister, Mai, had two RBIs to lift host McKeesport (7-1, 6-1) past Class AAAA No. 5 Plum (8-1, 6-1), 6-5, in a battle of the top two teams in Section 2. Mai Gooden also earned the win, striking out seven.
* Emily Keslar allowed three hits and struck out five in a complete-game shutout to help host Connellsville (3-4, 3-4) beat Class AAAA No. 4 Latrobe (7-2, 5-2), 1-0, in Section 1. Alyssa Orndorff scored the lone run on a single by Megan Butler.
* Thomas Jefferson (8-3, 4-3) scored three runs in the bottom of the sixth, two coming on a pinch-hit single by Lauren Herazo, to rally past Class AAA No. 5 Southmoreland (6-3, 5-2), 3-2, in Section 3.
* Erica Burns struck out 11 in a complete-game shutout as Class A No. 4 Carmichaels (8-2, 6-1) avenged an earlier loss by beating No. 3 Jefferson-Morgan (8-2, 6-2), 1-0, in Section 2.
Top softball performers
* Riplee Burkhart struck out 10 in a no-hitter to lead host Penn Hills (3-4, 2-4) to a 3-2 victory against Allderdice (0-6, 0-6) in Class AAAA Section 2.
* Ashley Iagnemma struck out 12 in five shutout innings and also knocked in five runs as Class AAA No. 3 South Fayette (7-1, 6-1) crushed host Ringgold (2-6, 2-6), 14-0, in five innings in Section 2.
Top baseball games
* Adam Lock hit a walkoff grand slam in the bottom of the eighth to lift Springdale (3-5, 3-1) to an 11-10 upset of Class A No. 3 Riverview (8-1, 3-1) in Section 4. Lock had an inside-the-park, three-run home run earlier in the game.
* Josh Plichta knocked in three runs in a 5-1 road victory for Class AAAA No. 3 North Allegheny (7-2) against No. 5 Pine-Richland (9-4) in non-section play.
* Dom Coconcelli threw a complete game, striking out eight, and went 2 for 4 with two doubles and three RBIs as Class AAAA No. 4 Penn-Trafford (10-1, 5-1) beat visiting Kiski Area (4-4, 1-4), 7-6, in Section 2.
* Class AAA No. 1 West Mifflin (8-2, 6-1) notched a road win against Section 4 foe Ringgold (2-5, 0-5), 8-1, behind a complete game from pitcher Ryan Bytzura, who allowed seven hits and no earned runs.
* Ron Baron hit a two-run home run and finished with three RBIs and two runs scored in an 8-1 win for Class A No. 1 California (11-0, 5-0) against host Avella (4-2, 3-2) in Section 1.
Top baseball performers
* In Class AAA No. 4 Hampton's two Section 5 games against Highlands (2-7, 2-3) and Valley (2-6, 1-2), the Talbots' Ben Vey went a combined 6 for 6, including a home run that ended the game against Valley due to the 10-run rule as Hampton (5-1, 4-0) swept the two games by a combined score of 25-4.
* Quaker Valley's Matt Delie allowed just four hits and struck out nine in seven innings and scored the only run in a 1-0 victory for the visiting Quakers (6-2, 4-2) against Carlynton (0-7, 0-5) in Class AA Section 1.
* Brandon Donovan had four hits and three RBIs with three runs scored to help Class AA No. 2 Steel Valley (8-0, 6-0) beat host Southmoreland (6-5, 2-4), 12-2, in Section 4.
* Brandon Lawless struck out 10 in a complete-game shutout to lift Carmichaels (6-1, 4-1) to a 3-0 victory against visiting West Greene (3-5, 1-4) in Class A Section 3.
To report inappropriate comments, abuse and/or repeat offenders, please send an email to
email@example.com and include a link to the article and a copy of the comment. Your report will be reviewed in a timely manner.