HARRISBURG -- Gov. Tom Corbett is expected to announce a lawsuit Wednesday morning against the NCAA regarding the football sanctions that Penn State University agreed to last summer regarding the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal.
The federal lawsuit was first reported Tuesday morning by Sports Illustrated. A news release from the governor's office said he will discuss the lawsuit at a news conference on the Penn State campus.
"The details will be spelled out tomorrow," Corbett spokesman Kevin Harley said Tuesday.
The lawsuit will be filed in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, Mr. Harley said.
Penn State agreed in July to a set of NCAA sanctions that included paying $60 million -- approximately one year's gross football revenue, the agreement said -- into an endowment for programs preventing child sex abuse or assisting abuse victims.
The university announced Dec. 20 it had set aside the first $12 million installment while an NCAA task force establishes the endowment.
State Sen. Jake Corman, R-Centre, announced last week that he was putting together legislation and his own lawsuit seeking to have money from Penn State's fine spent only within Pennsylvania.
Mr. Corman declined to comment Tuesday when asked about the Sports Illustrated report, beyond saying that any action by the governor's office was separate from his intended lawsuit.
A Penn State spokesman said Tuesday that the university is not involved in the lawsuit.
Bureau chief Laura Olson: email@example.com or 717-787-4254.