Penguins rally for 4-3 overtime win at Ottawa, claim series

Share with others:

Print Email Read Later

OTTAWA -- The Penguins rallied to beat the Ottawa Senators, 4-3, on Pascal Dupuis' goal at 9:56 of overtime tonight at Scotiabank Place to advance to the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

They won the series, 4-2.

The opponent and schedule for the Penguins in the second round have not been determined.

Ottawa opened the scoring when Matt Cullon beat Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury on a breakaway from the blue line at 5:19 of the first period. Cullen was sprung by Daniel Alfredsson, whose nifty lead pass came from along the right boards in the Senators end.

The Penguins came close to tying it at 10:40 of the first period when Mike Rupp swatted the puck from the top of the crease. It was ruled no goal on the ice, and a lengthy review that the NHL said "used several camera angles" found no conclusive evidence that the puck crossed the goal line.

It was the fifth time in the series there was a video review of a goal or potential goal.

The Senators increased their lead to 2-0 at 1:51 of the second period when Chris Neil scored on a rebound of a Chris Kelly shot. From beyond the upper left corner of the crease, Neil put the puck in off Fleury's right pad.

At 2:44, the Penguins got a scare when leading scorer Sidney Crosby fell on the leg of Ottawa goalie Pascal Leclaire. He skated off and went to the locker room with trainer Chris Stewart, but returned at 3:44 and continued to play.

Daniel Alfredsson made a nice play for a 3-0 Senators lead at 9:48 of the second period. At the lower inner edge of the left circle, he pulled the puck from his backhand to his forehand and, using the Penguins' Mark Eaton as a screen, shot the puck into the far side.

The Penguins' third line, which has been outplayed in the series by Ottawa's third line, struck for the club's first goal. Matt Cooke swept the puck in from a goal-mouth scramble to make it 3-1 at 10:56 of the second period.

There was yet another lengthy video review after the Senators thought they had scored at 16:19 of the second period.

A shot by Mike Fisher squiggled under Fleury, but just before the puck crossed the line, replays used by the NHL showed Cullen dislodged the right goal post as he crashed through the crease.

The Penguins' Alexei Ponikarovsky put the puck in the net during a power play at 5:42, but it was waved off because it was ruled that the Penguins' Evgeni Malkin interfered with Leclaire, even though Malkin was pushed into the crease by Ottawa's Matt Carkner.

On the same power play, though, the Penguins scored to pull to within 3-2. Bill Guerin blasted a high shot from the left side as Leclaire was playing with teammate Jarkko Ruutu's stick after his goalie stick broke.

The Penguins pulled into a 3-3 tie at 12:24 of the third period when Cooke backhanded in a rebound of a Mark Eaton shot from close range.

Shelly Anderson:


Create a free PG account.
Already have an account?