Obituary: Houston McCoy / Police officer who shot Texas Tower sniper in 1966

Died Dec. 27, 2012

Share with others:

Print Email Read Later

Houston McCoy, the Austin, Texas, police officer who stopped University of Texas Tower sniper Charles Whitman more than 46 years ago, died Thursday in a rest home in his hometown of Menard. He was 72.

Mr. McCoy died from complications of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, caused by many years of smoking, said his daughter Monika McCoy.

Mr. McCoy would have hated the first sentence of this obituary because it mentions Whitman.

In an interview with the Austin American-Statesman in April 2011, he vehemently requested that Whitman -- whom he didn't call by name but referred to as "the sniper" -- not be included in his final story. "But I guess you have to do that, mention the incident," Mr. McCoy said. "Just be sure to say that I was not the only police officer there that day. It was teamwork.

"And, I do not want what I did that day to define me," he said.

But that dark day in Austin history followed Mr. McCoy all his life. On Aug. 1, 1966, the 25-year-old Whitman fatally shot 14 people, including Austin police officer Billy Speed, and wounded 32 others until Mr. McCoy and fellow officer Ramiro Martinez both fired shots that stopped him. Mr. McCoy's blast from a 12-gauge shotgun hit Whitman in the face, and, according to the autopsy, the fatal wounds were to Whitman's head and heart.

A bullet from Mr. Martinez's .38-caliber handgun also hit Whitman. Mr. Martinez also grabbed McCoy's shotgun and shot Whitman one more time as he lay on the ground.

The frantic moments on the observation deck and who did what and when have been rehashed, researched and analyzed by history buffs and family. It's generally accepted that it was Mr. McCoy's shotgun blast that felled Whitman. But Mr. Martinez shot him, too, and initially got the credit until about 1970, when then-police Chief Bob Miles first began to publicly talk about Mr. McCoy's role in stopping Whitman. By then, Mr. McCoy had resigned from the department and was a civilian flight instructor in Del Rio, Texas, for the U.S. Air Force.

From his bed in Menard Manor in 2011, Mr. McCoy recounted what he remembered: "I got him. But it really doesn't matter whether I got him or Martinez did. Martinez is a good man, and he was the first police officer on the deck to confront the sniper. There were many heroes that day, police officers and civilians."

Mr. McCoy fell on tough times after he left the Austin Police Department. He was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress syndrome and battled alcoholism.

Friend and former Austin officer Milton Shoquist said he was aware of Mr. McCoy's troubles: "Like most of us, Houston battled some demons during his life, but I believe, in the end, he won the war.

"It is hard to separate the man from the police officer due to the notoriety surrounding the 1966 tragedy," Mr. Shoquist said. "Houston was a modest, unpretentious man ... His word was his bond and a handshake was as good as a written contract."

Mr. McCoy was asked in an earlier interview how he wished to be remembered. He answered, "That he's just a good old boy."



Create a free PG account.
Already have an account?