2 Afghan Taliban attacks show dangers still loom

Share with others:

Print Email Read Later

KABUL, Afghanistan -- Four gunmen with pistols stuffed into their socks attacked a luxury hotel frequented by foreigners in Afghanistan's capital Thursday, just hours after militants killed 11 people in an audacious assault on a police station in eastern Afghanistan.

All the assailants were killed in both standoffs, but made their point: Afghan forces face a huge challenge in securing upcoming elections in what will be a major test of their abilities as foreign troops wind down their combat mission at the end of this year.

The attacks show that the Taliban are following through on their threat to use violence to disrupt the April 5 vote, which will be the first democratic transfer of power since the 2001 U.S.-led invasion that ousted the Islamic militant movement from power. President Hamid Karzai is constitutionally barred from seeking a third term.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the assault on the Serena hotel and the earlier attack in Jalalabad, an economic hub near the border with Pakistan. "Our people, if they decide to attack any place, they can do it," he said.

The violence began before dawn Thursday, when a suicide bomber blew up his explosives-laden car outside the Jalalabad police station, near the palatial residence of Nangarhar provincial Gov. Attaullah Ludin. Six gunmen rushed into the station as two more bombs exploded nearby, one hidden in a motorized rickshaw and another in a vegetable cart.

That prompted a fierce battle that lasted more than four hours, with Afghan police and soldiers chasing gunmen down the street amid gunfire and smoke. Security forces killed seven attackers, Deputy Interior Minister Gen. Mohammad Ayub Salangi said. Police said the attack killed 10 officers, including a city district police chief, and a university student caught in the crossfire and wounded 15 policemen.

The Taliban spokesman Mujahid said the attackers wore suicide vests and killed nearly 30 police officers. The Islamic militant group frequently exaggerates casualty figures.

The initial suicide bombing badly damaged the nearby state-run Afghan radio and television building, shattering its windows.

The Taliban have carried out numerous attacks in Jalalabad, Kabul and elsewhere in the east. But targeting a police station reflected an effort to show that they can still penetrate heavily secured areas, despite numerous U.S. and Afghan offensives against them in recent years.

Hours later, about 6 p.m., four young men entered the Serena hotel -- considered one of the safest places to stay in Kabul -- telling guards that they were going to dinner, officials said.

To enter the hotel, guests must pass through an exterior gate and undergo a metal-detector search and pat down. Inside, they drew pistols hidden in their socks and opened fire, Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi said. Bursts of gunfire could be heard from outside the hotel, as Afghan troops cordoned off the area.

A hotel worker named Gulam Ali told his brother over his cell phone that all guests and staff members had taken refuge in the basement. "Everybody's fine," he told his brother, Mohammed Nabil, who let a reporter listen to the conversation. "Foreigners, workers -- everybody is in the basement."

The attackers appeared to be about 18 years old, and all had been killed, Mr. Sediqqi said, adding that gunfire wounded two hotel security guards.

In a separate statement, the Taliban's Mr. Mujahid said the gunmen targeted foreigners and dignitaries gathered at the hotel for a celebration marking the Persian new year, Nowruz. He said Thursday's attacks in Kabul and Jalalabad show the vulnerability of government forces against determined militants.

Afghanistan's upcoming elections include provincial votes, but the most closely watched is the presidential race. Mr. Karzai's successor will guide the country for the next five years as most U.S. and allied forces leave the country by year's end.

As part of the withdrawal process, Afghan authorities on Thursday released dozens of prisoners held by foreign troops, including some 40 who had been detained by British forces in southern Helmand province, officials said.

The freeing of Parwan Detention Center prisoners seized by international troops has strained relations between Washington and Mr. Karzai, especially amidst the Afghan leader's increasingly anti-American rhetoric and refusal to sign a long-negotiated bilateral security deal that would allow thousands of U.S. and allied troops to stay in the country beyond the 2014 deadline.

The U.S. military has said some of those freed were directly tied to attacks that have killed or wounded dozens of U.S. or coalition personnel, as well as Afghan security forces and civilians.

Join the conversation:

Commenting policy | How to report abuse
To report inappropriate comments, abuse and/or repeat offenders, please send an email to socialmedia@post-gazette.com and include a link to the article and a copy of the comment. Your report will be reviewed in a timely manner. Thank you.
Commenting policy | How to report abuse


You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here