Carbon monoxide sickens people at Lackawanna County hotel

Share with others:


Print Email Read Later

DUNMORE, Pa.  — More than 200 people were evacuated from an eastern Pennsylvania hotel this morning, and 20 to 25 are being treated at hospitals for possible carbon monoxide inhalation.

The evacuations took place about 9 a.m. Sunday after a leak from a furnace was discovered at the Best Western Hotel on Tigue Street in Dunmore, Lackawanna County.

A Geisinger Community Medical Center spokeswoman said 20 people were being treated there. Geisinger spokeswoman Westyn Hinchey said emergency responders also evaluated people as they were being evacuated, and most did not require hospitalization.

Dunmore Fire Chief Christopher DeNaples said the hotel would remain closed until further notice.

A person who answered the phone at the Best Western Hotel declined to comment.



Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here