Compiled by Rick Nowlin
- The Auxiliary of Mon-Vale Health Resources Inc. is sponsoring an ice cream social from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday in the Anthony M. Lombardi Education Conference Center of Monongahela Valley Hospital, Carroll. For more information, call 724-258-1167.
- Butterfly Bandits is sponsoring a Bowl for Thyroid Cancer from 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday at Legacy Lanes, 5024 Curry Road, Baldwin Borough.The cost is $40, and proceeds benefit UPMC’s multidisciplinary thyroid cancer research team. A country music concert is taking place after the bowling. Call 412-901-1469.
- Milestone Centers, Inc., which serves people with behavioral health and intellectual challenges, is hosting its inaugural Milestone Golf Classic on Sept. 22 at Edgewood Country Club, 100 Churchill Road, Churchill. Registration opens at 9:30 a.m., with a shotgun start at 11 a.m. and dinner, followed by an awards ceremony, at 5 p.m. The cost is $250 per golfer, and the deadline is Sept. 8. WTAE-TV anchor Sally Wiggin is serving as mistress of ceremonies. To register, visit www.milestonecentersinc.org or call 412-371-7391 ext. 140 or 116.
- Passavant Hospital Foundation is presenting “How is Your Hearing?” at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Cranberry Township Senior Center, in the municipal building, 2525 Rochester Road. Audiologist Virginia Milne is featured presenter. Hearing screenings are to be available. To register, call 412-748-6640.
- The PriorityCare program at Allegheny Valley Hospital, Harrison, is hosting “Understanding Balance Issues and Preventing Falls in the Home” at 2 p.m. next Tuesday in its Charles W. Young Conference Center. Presenters are nurse and patient safety officer Joyce Schultz and physical therapist and director of rehabilitation Jeremy Huth. Following the program is a balance screening. To register, call 412-330-4469.
- Heidelberg VFD, 456 First St., is sponsoring a CPR/AED class from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. today in its Social Hall. The class is free, but donations are being accepted. Call 412-276-5955.
- Mon-Vale Health Resources Inc. is offering a Breastfeeding Class from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Monday at its Mon-Vale HealthPLEX, 800 Plaza Drive, Rostraver. Partners and grandmothers are welcome and encouraged to attend. For more information, call 724-258-2229 ext. 9.
- Self Help Group Network, a service of PA 2-1-1 Southwest, provides a database of support groups. Call 412-255-1155.
- To find a blood drive near you call:
--The Central Blood Bank, 412-209-7000 or 1-800-310-9551.
--The American Red Cross, 1-800-733-2767. For bloodmobile locations: www.redcrossblood.org/greateralleghenies.
Join the conversation:
To report inappropriate comments, abuse and/or repeat offenders, please send an email to email@example.com and include a link to the article and a copy of the comment. Your report will be reviewed in a timely manner. Thank you.