Johns Hopkins to pay $190 million in hidden camera scandal

Settlement covers 8,000 traumatized by doctor’s gynecological-exam images

Share with others:

Print Email Read Later

BALTIMORE — A “rogue” gy­ne­col­o­gist who used tiny cam­eras to se­cretly record vid­eos and pho­tos of his pa­tients has forced one of the world’s top med­i­cal cen­ters to pay $190 mil­lion to 8,000 women and girls.

Ni­kita Levy was fired af­ter 25 years with the Johns Hop­kins Health System in Bal­ti­more in Feb­ru­ary 2013 af­ter a fe­male co-worker spot­ted the pen-like cam­era he wore around his neck and alerted au­thor­i­ties.

Dr. Levy com­mit­ted sui­cide days later, as a fed­eral in­ves­ti­ga­tion led to roughly 1,200 vid­eos and 140 im­ages stored on com­put­ers in his home.

“All of these women were bru­tal­ized by this,” said their lead at­tor­ney, Jon­a­than Schochor. “Some of these women needed coun­sel­ing, they were sleep­less, they were dys­func­tional in the work­place, they were dys­func­tional at home, they were dys­func­tional with their mates. This breach of trust, this be­trayal — this is how they felt.”

The pre­lim­i­nary set­tle­ment ap­proved by a judge Mon­day is one of the larg­est on record in the United States in­volv­ing sex­ual mis­con­duct by a phy­si­cian. It all but closes a case that never pro­duced crim­i­nal charges but se­ri­ously threat­ened Johns Hop­kins’ rep­u­ta­tion.

Law­yers said thou­sands of women were trau­ma­tized, even though their faces were not vis­i­ble in the im­ages, and it could not be es­tab­lished with cer­tainty which pa­tients were recorded or how many. Mr. Schochor said it would be im­pos­sible and only cause more dis­tress to “sit around a ta­ble and try to iden­tify sex­ual or­gans with­out pic­tures of faces.”

Plain­tiffs at­tor­ney Howard Janet said 62 girls were among the vic­tims, and that Dr. Levy vi­o­lated hos­pi­tal pro­to­col by send­ing chap­er­ones out of the exam room.

Johns Hop­kins said in­sur­ance will cover the set­tle­ment, which “prop­erly bal­ances the con­cerns of thou­sands of plain­tiffs with ob­li­ga­tions the Health System has to pro­vide on­go­ing and su­pe­rior care to the com­mu­nity.” The hos­pi­tal state­ment said, “It is our hope that this set­tle­ment — and find­ings by law en­force­ment that im­ages were not shared — helps those af­fected achieve a mea­sure of clo­sure,” add­ing, “One in­di­vid­ual does not de­fine Johns Hop­kins.”

Myra James, 67, had been go­ing to Dr. Levy for an­nual ex­ams for 20 years. Since his mis­con­duct be­came pub­lic, she hasn’t been to a gy­ne­col­o­gist once. “I can’t bring my­self to go back,” Ms. James said. “You’re ly­ing there, ex­posed. It’s vi­o­lat­ing and it’s hor­ri­ble, and my trust is gone. Pe­riod.” The As­so­ci­ated Press nor­mally does not iden­tify pos­si­ble vic­tims of sex crimes, but Ms. James agreed to use of her name.

Dr. Levy, 54, grad­u­ated from the Weill Cor­nell Med­i­cal Col­lege in New York City and com­pleted his in­tern­ship and res­i­dency at the city’s Kings County Hos­pi­tal Center. He be­gan work­ing at Johns Hop­kins in 1988, and was work­ing at Hop­kins East Bal­ti­more Med­i­cal Center at the end.

He saw roughly 12,600 pa­tients dur­ing his years at Johns Hop­kins. About 8,000 joined the class-ac­tion suit, al­leg­ing that the hos­pi­tal should have known what he was up to. “There was no in­kling of it. Hop­kins was un­aware,” said hos­pi­tal at­tor­ney Don­ald DeVries, who said Dr. Levy went “rogue.”

Once alerted, hos­pi­tal au­thor­i­ties quickly no­ti­fied Bal­ti­more po­lice and es­corted Dr. Levy off cam­pus. Po­lice and fed­eral in­ves­ti­ga­tors said they found no ev­i­dence that he shared the ma­terial with oth­ers. Mr. Schochor said all of the im­ages will be de­stroyed by court or­der.

Some women told of be­ing in­ap­pro­pri­ately touched and ver­bally abused by Dr. Levy, ac­cord­ing to Mr. Schochor. Some said they were reg­u­larly sum­moned to Dr. Levy’s of­fice for un­nec­es­sary pel­vic ex­ams.

“Did he take pic­tures of me? There’s no way of know­ing,” said an­other for­mer pa­tient, whose two chil­dren were de­liv­ered by Dr. Levy. “I felt vi­o­lated, be­cause I don’t know if for sure if he had pic­tures of me, or who has seen them.”

His sui­cide — by wrap­ping his head in a plas­tic bag with a hose con­nected to a he­lium tank — frus­trated ev­ery­one who wanted to know his mo­tives and see him face justice.

The set­tle­ment in­volves eight law firms and is sub­ject to fi­nal ap­proval by Judge Syl­ves­ter B. Cox af­ter a “fair­ness hear­ing” where the women can speak. Each plain­tiff was in­ter­viewed by a fo­ren­sic psy­chol­o­gist and a post-trau­matic stress spe­cial­ist to de­ter­mine how much trauma she suf­fered and how much money she will re­ceive.

Johns Hop­kins sent out let­ters to Dr. Levy’s en­tire pa­tient list last year, apol­o­giz­ing to the women and urg­ing them to seek care with other Johns Hop­kins spe­cial­ists. But hun­dreds were so trau­ma­tized that they “dropped out of the med­i­cal sys­tem,” and some even stopped send­ing their chil­dren to doc­tors, Mr. Schochor said.

Ms. James said her deal­ings with Dr. Levy were al­ways un­set­tling. She said she found it strange that he con­ducted ex­ami­na­tions with­out a nurse pres­ent. “He was cold, and I was kind of scared of him. His bed­side man­ner — he didn’t have any,” she said. “But all my doc­tors were at Hop­kins. I’ve had two sur­ger­ies there, my pri­mary doc­tor is there. I was used to go­ing there for ev­ery­thing.”

United States - North America - Maryland - Baltimore


You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here