• The Passavant Hospital Foundation is sponsoring an 8K Run at 7 p.m. July 12 at the North Park Pool Loop. The cost is $30. Proceeds benefit the foundation's public outreach programs, including first aid and CPR training for high school students. Call 412-367-6640.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring a bone density screening from 1 to 3 p.m. Wednesday at its Healthy Directions health resource center, Finleyville Giant Eagle, 3701 Brownsville Road, Union. For more information, call 724-348-6699.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring "How to Know if You Need a Joint Replacement/Revision" at 6 p.m. today in the Anthony M. Lombardi Education Conference Center of Monongahela Valley Hospital, Carroll, as part of MVH's Innovations in Medicine series. Speaker is Ari Pressman. To register, call 724-258-1333.
• Allegheny Valley Hospital is sponsoring the following classes at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. Registration is required.
-- Basic life support for Healthcare Provider, including CPR renewal, 5 to 9 p.m. Tuesday. Cost: $35, includes manual. Call 724-274-5202.
-- Joslin Diabetes Center's Self-Management Education two-day evening series, 5 to 8 p.m. July 9 and 16. Fees payable by insurance. Call 724-367-2400. Space limited to 20.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is offering a smoking cessation program from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays from Tuesday to July 23 in the Primary Care Resource Center, on the fourth floor of Monongahela Valley Hospital, Carroll. The cost is $20, free to PCRC patients, MVH employees and anyone with a referral from an MVH-affiliated primary care physician. Space is limited, and registration is required. To register, call 724-258-1932.
• Excela Health is sponsoring the following classes at Westmoreland Hospital, Greensburg. Call 1-877-771-1234.
-- Childbirth and Beyond, 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Memorial Conference Center, ground floor.
-- Family and Friends CPR, 6 to 9 p.m. July 9, Conference Room D, first floor.
• Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh/UPMC is sponsoring The Happiest Baby on the Block from 7 to 8:30 p.m. July 9 at its Pine Center. The cost is $35 per couple, and registration is required. Call 412-692-7105.
• Penn State Extension in Westmoreland County is offering the following classes. Registrations will be accepted through July 10. Call 724-837-1402.
-- "Cooking for Crowds: A Volunteer's Guide to Safe Food Handling," 6 to 9 p.m. July 15, Roosevelt Hall, 2325 Mount Pleasant Road, Mt. Pleasant Township. Cost: $35 per organization for up to five participants and an additional $5 for each additional participant from the same group.
-- Training for new facilitators for the Strengthening Families Program for parents and youth ages 10-14, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 29-31, Greensburg Salem Middle School, 301 N. Main St., Greensburg. Participants must attend all three days to receive certification.
• The University of Pittsburgh is conducting a telephone research study about environmental risk factors that may play a role in the development of autism spectrum disorder. If you are a parent of a child on the spectrum who was born between January 2005 and December 2009 with a confirmed diagnosis of ASD and who was born in Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Washington, or Westmoreland counties you are invited to participate. Call 412-624-1599.
• Self Help Group Network, a service of PA 2-1-1 Southwest, provides a database of support groups. Call 412-255-1155.
• Overeaters Anonymous meets at 7 p.m. every Tuesday at St. Januarius Catholic Church, 1450 Renton Road, Plum. Call 412-795-4897.
• The UPMC Center for Sports Medicine is sponsoring its annual Student Athletic Training Aide Workshop, geared toward high-school students, from July 23 to 25 at The Ellis School, 6425 Fifth Ave., Shadyside. The cost is $65, including course and lab materials, daily breakfast and lunch, plus an additional $10 for optional CPR and AED certifications. The deadline is next Monday, and space is limited. To register, call 412-432-3770.
• To find a blood drive near you call:
-- The Central Blood Bank, 412-209-7000 or 1-800-310-9551.
-- The American Red Cross, 1-800-448-3543. For bloodmobile locations, check http://www.redcrosslife.org.
--?Compiled by Rick Nowlinhealth