• Allegheny Valley Hospital and Pennsylvania State University are sponsoring "Guidelines for Initial Concussion Management," an educational program on managing concussions in youth athletes, 6-7:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Conference Center at Penn State's New Kensington campus, 3550 Seventh Street Road, Upper Burrell. Topics include: "The Concussion Epidemic" by Jack Wilberger, neurosurgeon and chairman of the department of neurosurgery at the West Penn Allegheny Health System; "Evaluation Standards for Suspected Concussions" by Kevin Kelly, neurologist and professor of neurology at the Drexel University College of Medicine; "Approach to Management of Symptoms" by Troy Desai, neurologist on staff at AVH, and "The Safety and Youth Sports Act and Return to Play Protocols" by Missy Bauer, physician assistant and certified athletic trainer. The deadline is today. Call 412-330-4469 or register online at www.wpahs.org/events/guidelines-concussion-management.
• The Village at St. Barnabas, 5850 Meridian Road, Richland, is sponsoring a "Healthy Living -- Healthy Lifestyle" Health Fair 10 a.m.-to 1 p.m. Friday. Health consultations, including blood pressure, dental, hearing and vision screenings, will be offered along with healthy food samples and giveaways. Attendees will have the opportunity to meet St. Barnabas staff. Tours of the apartments at The Village at St. Barnabas will also be offered. For more information, call 724-443-7231.
• The Children's Institute of Pittsburgh, 1405 Shady Ave., Squirrel Hill, is sponsoring "Growing Families Through Adoption," an annual matching and adoption awareness event, 1-4 p.m. April 6. Foster and adoptive families, permanency and foster care professionals, youth advocates and waiting children are welcome to attend. The deadline is Tuesday. Call 1-877-433-1109, option 7.
• The Auxiliary of Mon-Vale Health Resources is holding an Auxiliary Soup and Salad Luncheon 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Thursday in the Anthony M. Lombardi Education Conference Center of Monongahela Valley Hospital, Carroll. For more information, call 724-258-1167.
• The AVH Trust, the philanthropic resource for Allegheny Valley Hospital, is holding its annual Traditions Gala, themed "Rhythm and Rouge," at 6 p.m. Saturday at the Pittsburgh Field Club, 121 Field Club Road, Fox Chapel. The gala includes dinner, entertainment by the jump-blues band Dr. Zoot, a ticket auction, raffle and other games. Tickets cost $175, and dress is black-tie optional. For more information, call 724-226-7178.
• The Myasthenia Gravis Association of Western Pennsylvania at Allegheny General Hospital is holding its annual Sports Memorabilia Auction 3-7 p.m. April 7 at the Club at Nevillewood, 1000 Nevillewood Drive, Collier. TV/radio personality Ellis Cannon is serving as host; John Phillips from The Fan sports talk radio is the auctioneer. Available are sports "grab bags," a buffet, a cash bar, a basket raffle and live and silent auctions of signed sports memorabilia. Admission is $30 per person. Advance reservations are strongly suggested, as space is limited. For more information or reservations, call 412-566-1545.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is holding a multiphasic blood analysis 6-11 a.m. Saturday in the Anthony M. Lombardi Education Conference Center of Monongahela Valley Hospital, Carroll. This 36-function screening costs $25 and is open to the public. Participants are asked to provide the full name and complete address of the physician to whom their test results will be sent. Testing is by appointment only. The deadline to register is Wednesday, and registrations must be made between 8:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. by calling 724-258-1282.
• Excela Health, in partnership with the Blairsville Quota Club and the Ladies Auxiliary of Blairsville Parks & Recreation Foundation, is offering a Wellness Check diagnostic blood screening 6:30-9:30 a.m. Saturday at Blairsville Area Medical Park, 56 Club Lane, Resort Plaza, Burrell, Indiana County. Walk-ins are welcome, but appointments are preferred to avoid delay. Call 1-877-771-1234 between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• The PriorityCare program of Allegheny Valley Hospital, Harrison, is sponsoring "Lung Cancer 101" at 6 p.m. Tuesday in its Charles W. Young Conference Center. Presenter is oncologist Gene Finley. Call 724-226-7339.
• St. Barnabas Medical Center, 5850 Meridian Road, Richland, is sponsoring "Foot Problems: Understanding and Solutions" at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday as part of its monthly Doc's Talk series. Speaker is William Saar, orthopedic surgeon with Tri Rivers Surgical Associates. For more information, call 724-443-7231.
• The ParentWISE program of Family Services of Western Pennsylvania is sponsoring "Preparing Your Child for Kindergarten" 6-8 p.m. Wednesday at Kiski Area High School, 240 Hyde Park Road, Allegheny Township. Presenter is Shana Orlic. Call 724-842-0452.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring the following programs:
-- Innovations in Sports Medicine, 6 p.m. March 25, Mon-Vale HealthPLEX, 800 Plaza Drive, Rostraver. Speaker: Dr. Jose Ramirez-Del Toro. To register, call 724-258-1333.
-- Healthy Eating Supermarket Tours, 1-4 p.m. March 26, Healthy Directions health resource center, Finleyville Giant Eagle, 3701 Brownsville Road, Union. Advance registration required; space limited. Call 724-348-6699 or 724-258-1148.
• Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh/UPMC is sponsoring the following classes. Advance registration is required. Call 412-692-7105.
-- Tech Smart 4 Kids: Internet Safety, 7-8:30 p.m. Thursday, UPMC South, Bethel Park. Free.
-- CPR: Infant, Child and Teen, 9 a.m.-noon Saturday, Children's Oakland Medical Building, 3420 Fifth Ave. Cost: $30.
-- Early Childhood Parenting Made Fun! 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturday, Pine Center. Cost: $10
-- We Can! A Parent's Guide to Family, Fitness and Fun! 7-8:30 p.m. March 26, Pine Center. Free.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring the following classes:
-- Breastfeeding, 6:30-9:30 p.m. March 25, Mon-Vale HealthPLEX, 800 Plaza Drive, Rostraver. Partners and grandmothers are welcome and encouraged to attend. For more information, call 724-258-2229, ext. 25.
-- Adult CPR, 6-9 p.m. March 26, Anthony M. Lombardi Education Conference Center, Monongahela Valley Hospital, Carroll. Cost: $40, advance registration required. Call 724-684-9536. Offered in conjunction with Valley Health and Safety Training Center.
• Excela Health is sponsoring a Car Seat Safety class 7-9:30 p.m. March 26 in the Memorial Conference Center of Westmoreland Hospital, Greensburg. Call 1-877-771-1234.
• Phipps Conservatory & Botanical Gardens, Schenley Park, 1 Schenley Drive, Oakland, is offering classes in Gentle Yoga 1:30-2:45 p.m. Thursdays from March 21 to April 18 in Botany Hall. The cost is $75, $50 for members. Call 412-622-6915.
n Westminster Presbyterian Church, 2040 Washington Road, Upper St. Clair, is sponsoring a Grief Recovery faith-based support group 4-5 p.m. Wednesdays from March 20 to April 10. Donation is $8. Call 412-835-6630.health