BRODHEAD CULTURAL CENTER
Summer concert features banjos
The Pittsburgh Banjo Club will perform a free concert at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday as part of the 37th summer season of programs by the Brodhead Cultural Center in the J.P. Guisti Amphitheater on Penn State Beaver campus, Brodhead Road.
In the event of inclement weather, the show will be moved into the auditorium of the Student Union Building on campus.
Ice cream from the Penn State Creamery will be sold from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
Hollow Road bridge closed for repairs
A $1.8 million project is underway to repair the bridge between McCaughtry Run Road and Wallace Drive, Route 551, that carries Hollow Road over McCaughtry Run.
Work is expected to continue through late August.
About 1,400 vehicles a day are being rerouted onto Second Street/Elmwood Boulevard, Route 168, New Galilee Road and Crescent Drive.
The project involves substructure repairs, deck replacement and other improvements on the Route 551 bridge. The prime contractor is Allison Park Contractors Inc.
Detours in effect for Scrubgrass Road
A section of Scrubgrass Road has been closed for a $718,720 project to replace a metal arch culvert between Main Street/Kane Boulevard/Old Bower Hill Road and Swallow Hill Road.
The road closing means traffic is being diverted onto Greentree and Swallow Hill roads. The detour is expected to remain in effect until late August.
The project also involves minor approach work, drainage improvements, utility relocations and pavement markings.
The road is open for local traffic. About 13,325 vehicles use this area of Scrubgrass Road on an average day.
Mele & Mele & Sons Inc. is the prime contractor.
OLD ECONOMY VILLAGE
Interactive camp for children
A five-day interactive summer camp that will enable children to experience 19th century life will be offered from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. the week of July 22 and repeated the week of July 29 at Old Economy Village, 270 16th St., Ambridge.
The program is for ages 6-12. Children will work on the printing press, bake homemade bread in an outdoor bake oven, create brooms and explore a 19th century natural history museum. Campers should bring a bag lunch each day.
The cost is $45 per child for members of Friends of Old Economy Village and $50 for others. For additional children in a family, the cost is $35 for members and $45 for others.
To register or for information: 724-266-4500 or email@example.com.
Sinkhole closes Fourth Avenue lane
The right lane and parking lanes on Fourth Avenue (Route 51 North) near the intersection with Arch Street has been closed because of a sinkhole.
The lane was closed July 1.
The left lane remains open on the one-way road through the borough's business district. Engineers from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation are assessing the roadway.
Potato Garden Run Road closed
Potato Garden Run Road in the culvert area closed this week and will remain closed through late August while a bridge and guide rail are replaced between Route 30 and Washington Road.
The $200,000 project will replace the existing bridge and guide rail between Route 30 and Washington Road.
The road will be closed in the culvert area beginning at 7 a.m. Monday continuously through late August. The roadway will remain open to the construction area for local traffic only.
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation estimates more than 220 vehicles a day will be affected by the closing.
The posted detour is Washington Road and Route 30.
Road maintenance projects
Traffic will be restricted this week for maintenance by state Department of Transportation crews on these Beaver County roads:
• Brighton Road, North Sewickley and Ellwood City -- Patching between Route 65 and the Lawrence County border.
• Center Grange Road, Center -- Drain installation between Monaca and Brodhead roads.
• Deer Lane Extension, New Sewickley -- Drainage ditch improvements between Route 68 and Pittsburgh Road.
• Dutch Ridge Road, Brighton -- Shoulder improvements between Tuscarawas and Park roads.
• Harpers Ferry Road, North Sewickley -- Road base repair between Route 65 and Czar Road.
• Hartzell School Road, Marion -- Patching between Fombell Road and Route 68.
• Mercer Road, Franklin -- Sweeping between Lawrence County and Route 288.
• Monaca Road, Center and Hopewell -- Sweeping between Route 51 and Aliquippa.
• North Camp Road, Franklin -- Sweeping between Lawrence County and Route 288.
• North Tower Road, Franklin -- Sweeping between Lawrence County and Route 288.
• Park Road, South Beaver -- Shoulder improvements between Bradys Run and Blackhawk roads and between Bradys Run and Beaver.
• Salem Church Road, Ohioville -- Road shoulder improvements between Lisbon and Blackhawk roads; drain installation between Blackhawk and Lisbon roads.
• Shady Rest Road, Franklin -- Patching between Route 288 and Celia Road.
• Shippingport Road, Greene and Hookstown -- Bridge maintenance between the Shippingport Bridge and Hookstown.
Town hall meeting for 15th District
State Rep. Jim Christiana, R-Beaver, will host a town hall meeting for residents of Beaver, Brighton, Patterson and Patterson Heights at 6:30 p.m. next Thursday in the Beaver Borough Building, 469 Third St.
The one-hour meeting will include a brief presentation by the legislator followed by a question-and-answer session for participants.neigh_west