Carnegie fire injures man, destroys house

Share with others:

Print Email Read Later

A house was destroyed and one man was injured in a fire this morning in Carnegie.

Borough police Chief Jeffrey Harbin said the man, in his 50s, suffered some minor burns to his hands and face before he and his wife evacuated the home.

He was being treated at St. Clair Hospital.

Chief Harbin was unsure whether a cat that lived with the couple had been accounted for.

The house was fully involved when fire crews were dispatched to 11 Howard Street, Chief Harbin said, and spread to the roof and throughout the two-story house.

"It was difficult to bring down," he said.

It's not yet clear where and how the fire started, but there were reports of an explosion.

The owners of the house told crews they had some small propane tanks inside the house, which authorities believe may have caused the blast, Chief Harbin said.

Crews were also concerned about the fire spreading to the house next door, but Chief Harbin said he thinks the flames were contained to the first house.

An Allegheny County fire marshal is on scene and will determine cause and origin of the fire. At least five fire companies responded, including Carnegie, Scott, Crafton, Bridgeville and Heidelberg.

mobilehome - breaking - neigh_west

Molly Born:, 412-263-1944 and on Twitter @borntolede.


Create a free PG account.
Already have an account?