Chartiers Valley High School student Katherine Formichella has been selected as a Carson Scholar. She is among 5,600 students from across the country who will receive a $1,000 scholarship award. Katherine will be honored April 21 at the Carson Scholars Fund Annual Pittsburgh Awards Banquet.
• These Moon Area High School musicians were selected for recent Pennsylvania Music Educators Association regional band, choral and orchestra festivals: Katie Nan (violin), Nick Giralico (french horn) and Eric Hamol (trombone) participated in the Western Region Orchestra.
Justin Frankeny (clarinet), Craig Gill (trumpet), Nick Giralco (french horn), Eric Homol (trombone) and Nick Seyler (tuba) qualified for All-State Orchestra.
Ekeni Abakah, Nate Copeland, Matt Keefer, Hayden Keefer, Tommy Kernick, Danna Murray, Sarah Pinter, Alicia Reilly, and Forrest Salamida will participate in the Region I Choral Festival today through Saturday at Moon Area High School.
• These Cornell High School students will be inducted into the Parkway West Career and Technology Center National Technical Honor Society on April 29: Taylor Broniszewski (culinary arts I), Robert Gilligan (auto body repair II), Bracy Scott (HVAC/R), Brian Bennett (automotive technology II), Cora Groom (culinary arts II), Davin Payne (automotive technology).
• Katie Liu, a fourth-grade gifted education student at Burkett Elementary School in Montour School District won first prize in the piano solo, ages 10 to 12 division, March 8 at Duquesne Young Artist National Competition.
• These Cornell High School musicians have been selected to perform in these honor events:
Jaylin Ciccone, Maya Deroba, Kayla Pickens, Brittany Postma, Lauryn Davis, Olivia Piccolo -- Western Allegheny Middle School Honors Band.
Gareth Canfield, Lydia Ponticel, Kathy McMurray, Hannah Wilkinson, Lily Formosa -- Western Allegheny County Area High School Honors Band.
Tyler Mixter, Kayla Pickens, Brittany Postma -- Junior District Band.
• Anne Radzanowski, a Chartiers Valley High School student, has qualified as a Recognized Carson Scholar. Anne previously was honored with a scholarship award and is now receiving a commemorative pin and certificate to acknowledge her academic and humanitarian achievements. She is among 5,600 students from across the country who have been named Carson Scholars. She will be honored April 21 at the Carson Scholars Fund Annual Pittsburgh Awards Banquet.
• These Moon Area students qualified for the Academic Games Leagues of America National Tournament in Charlotte, N.C., at the end of April: Rachel Boward, Abby Eberts, Amanda Gilmore, Ashley Hall, Nora Kupiec, Kushi Mallikarjun, Allison Murphy, Dana Murray, Jessica Peng, Aashka Shah, Selin Sinterlikci and Pietari Sulkava.
• Hopewell Area High School student Billy Longerman was a winner at the regional DECA competition. He will advance to the national competition in Anaheim, Calif.
• Moon Area High School sophomore Austin Jepsky is the winner of the American Legion Essay Contest for Allegheny County. His essay moves on to compete in the regional competition.
• Brandon Rogowski, a senior at Beaver Area High School, won the recent Pittsburgh Brain Bee and finished fifth out of 47 students in the national competition in Baltimore.
The Brain Bee is a neuroscience competition for high school students. Winners from 40 regional competitions in 26 states tested their knowledge of the brain in topics such as intelligence, emotions, memory, sleep, vision, hearing, sensations, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, schizophrenia, addictions and brain research.
• Moon Area High School senior Kristina Kiritchenko placed first in poem recitation at Washington & Jefferson College's recent German Day Competition. She competed against 18 other students.
• McCormick Elementary School fourth-grader Myles Fernau and second-grader Gabriel Hilliard received the Moon Area School District's Tiger Spirit Award at the March 11 school board meeting.neigh_west
To submit a West notable: email@example.com.