The Montour Trail Council will hold the grand opening of a new bridge and 0.8 miles of trail in South Park Township at 1 p.m. July 13.
The new segment along Piney Fork creek, from Triphammer Road to Piney Fork Road, includes a 115-foot truss bridge over the stream. The bridge was refurbished and finished with a wooden deck by volunteers. Originally built in 1920, the structure was used as a footbridge for workers at a Monessen steel mill before being acquired by the trail council. Emblems from three different steel companies are visible on the bridge.
The ceremony will take place at the new Triphammer Road trailhead near the bridge. Parking at the site is limited. Those who attend are urged to walk or bike to the event. The other trailheads are at Piney Fork Road, Brownsville Road Extension and Stewart Road.