A lawsuit filed by Virginia residents who said their then-14-year-old daughter was sexually assaulted by a 68-year-old patient at the Monongahela Valley Hospital in 2009 was dismissed Tuesday.
The parents and girl, whose real names are not listed in the lawsuit, had been instructed by the court to find new legal counsel after their original lawyers withdrew from the case. They failed to find new counsel for six months, so U.S. District Judge Cathy Bissoon dismissed the case for failure to prosecute.
The complaint, filed in 2011, said that the girl was brought to the hospital's emergency room in October 2009 after she got into a fight with her mother and the police. Then, it said, she was sexually assaulted in a bathroom. It claimed that hospital staff failed to protect the girl.