Doctors still have no good way to detect pancreatic cancer early, members of Allegheny County Council learned recently. That is one reason death rates from the disease remain very high, President Jim Burn said.
Council issued a proclamation making November "awareness month" in the fight against the illness.
About 43,000 people in the United States will be diagnosed with the disease and 36,000 will die within a year.
Patricia Connelly of West Homestead said she lost her husband, Marty, on his 62nd birthday in 2003. She told council that what upset her husband most was when doctors advised him that he had few options for treatment or a cure.
• Veterans should be recognized every day, Councilman Vince Gastgeb, R-Bethel Park, told his colleagues as they declared November Veterans Appreciation Month.
Council members also took note of the work done by and for veterans. Those recognized included Ray Webb, supervisor at the Shepherd's Heart veterans shelter, and Thoms J. McGarvey, a co-founder of the Friends of Danang, a volunteer group that holds a countywide Veterans Day breakfast each Nov. 11.
• Family Services of Western Pennsylvania and the Office of Behavioral Health in the county's Department of Human Services won two national awards.
The first was the Organizational Xcel award from the National Association of Case Management. The second was the 2011 Behavioral Health Pacesetter award from the Hitachi Foundation and the Annapolis Coalition.
• Della Meekins of McKeesport was recognized as 2011 Grandparent of the Year by the city's Grandparents Raising Grandchildren program.
• Caroline Anderson was presented with a certificate of recognition on her 100th birthday. A longtime resident of West Mifflin, she now lives in Level Green.
• Council sent a certificate of achievement to Leonard and Dolores Frost of Elizabeth Township, who are celebrating their 60th anniversary.
• Joanne Beckowitz of Mc-Keesport was reappointed to a one-year term on the Council of Friends organization for Round Hill Park.
Len Barcousky, Allegheny County reporter. email@example.com or 412-263-1159.