McKeesport Area High School Alumni & Friends Association awarded $69,050 in scholarships and grants to members of the McKeesport Class of 2013, an amount that pushes the all-time award total to more than a half-million-dollars.
The association, now in its 27th year, "is about giving back and the scholarship program is a direct expression of that commitment and of a desire to keep the tradition of Tiger excellence alive," said Linda Croushore, founder and president of the group. Many scholarships are funded by alumni or in honor of other graduates.
There were new awards this year:
• $1,000 grants from George B. Martin, a member of McKeesport Class of 1951, in honor of Archie Martin and Nancy Martin Dodge, Class of 1954. Winners are Benjamin Mollard, Nicholas Mattis and Jacquelyn Mitchell. Mr. Mollard and Miss Mitchell are headed to Penn State Greater Allegheny and Mr. Mattis to Duquesne University.
• A $1,000 award funded by Mr. and Mrs. Richard Riazzi. Mr. Riazzi is a graduate of Class of 1972 and a 2012 McKeesport High School Hall of Fame inductee. Winner is Sade Banks, who will attend the University of Pittsburgh-Greensburg.
• A $500 award established by Joseph M. Ivcevich, Class of 1960, for a varsity football player who displays sportsmanship and scholarship. Winner is Marqua Perdue, who will attend Wayne State University.
• Kenneth and Evelyn Frew Scholarship Fund -- $5,000 each awarded to Matthew McFadden, Ohio University; Devin Kiska, Robert Morris University; Frank Gardone, Penn State Greater Allegheny; and Katie McNeil, Penn State University, main campus.
• Arthur N. Rupe Foundation Scholarship -- $2,000 each to Aviva Gersovitch, Case Western Reserve University; Rachel Duffy, Penn State Greater Allegheny; and Katie McNeil.
• Mary V. Tomko Scholarship -- $1,500 each for Rachel Duffy, Aviva Gersovitch, and Frank Gardone; $1,000 each for Natalie Bane, Point Park University, and Theresa Kulasa, California University of Pennsylvania.
• Nick Bakalis Memorial Award -- $1,000 each to Collin Whitney, California University of Pennsylvania, and Kayla Kisan, Penn State Altoona; $500 to Chandler McGraw, Edinboro University.
• Walter C. Shaw Memorial Scholarship -- $1,000 each for Jessica Stuvaints, California University of Pennsylvania, and Deanna DeCenzo, Waynesburg University.
• Justin R. Misura Memorial Award -- $1,000 each to Teje Hairston and Samuel Minnick, who will attend Indiana University of Pennsylvania's Academy of Culinary Arts.
• Rick Keller Memorial Award -- $1,000 for Jessica Stuvaints.
• Marlene Keller Farkas Memorial Scholarship -- $1,000 to Katie McNeil.
• Albert T. Fallquist Memorial Scholarship -- $1,556 each to Joseph Driscoll, University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown; Dylan Winters, Saint Vincent College; and Dean Corsaro, Wentworth Institute of Technology.
• Vern G. Sharbaugh Scholarship -- $500 to Jamie Grayson, The University of Akron.
• Dr. Mary Jo Sharbaugh Cerepani Scholarship -- $500 each to Joseph Driscoll and Jada Green, Community College of Allegheny County.
• Zon Fleckenstein Memorial Scholarship -- $500 each to Rachel Duffy; Jennifer Young, Point Park University; Hannah Smart, Indiana University of Pennsylvania.
• Yecies Family Awards -- $500 each to Devin Kiska and to Emily Mandela, Geneva College.
• Bechtol Family Scholarship -- $500 to Casey Carreiro, Slippery Rock University.
• Garden Club of McKeesport Scholarship -- $500 to Christopher Sisley, Penn State Greater Allegheny.
• Gerald Grayson Scholarship -- $500 to Kasey Dansak, Penn State Greater Allegheny.
• Kathy McCall Sportsmanship Award -- $500 to Marqua Perdue.
• Sam Liberatore Memorial Scholarship -- $300 to Dylan Winters.
• Neenie Campbell Memorial Scholarship -- $500 to Carlitto Acie, Indiana University of Pennsylvania.
• Antoncic Family Scholarship -- Awards of $250 each to Paul Fields, Marissa Lakovic, Seton Hill University; Domonje Walker and DaNeisha Christian, Slippery Rock University.
• Lou Guarascio Memorial Award -- $250 to Paul Fields.
• All-Alumni Scholarship -- $500 to Lucas Blacka, Thiel College.
The alumni association is an initiative of The Consortium for Public Education, 410 Ninth St., McKeesport.