The 2013 Banner Communities in Allegheny County are Collier, Etna, Fawn, Hampton, Indiana Township, Leetsdale, McCandless, Moon, Munhall, North Fayette, Ohio Township, Reserve, Richland, Ross, Sewickley, Tarentum, Upper St. Clair, Whitehall and Wilkins. Butler Township and Cranberry, both in Butler County, also were named to the list.
Municipalities selected for the honor had to meet these criteria:
• Participate in a governing mentoring effort or educational or training programs through the Allegheny League of Municipalities, the Local Government Academy or the state Department of Community & Economic Development.
• Be active in league and county municipal associations with a representative attending at least half of county association meetings.
• Be active members in council of government meetings, participating in a cooperative purchasing program and in at least one shared municipal service.
• Conduct a Local Government Week activity promoting municipal government or communicating with residents about delivery of services.
• Conduct a citizen communication program by offering a municipal newsletter or Web-based communication and by participating in a class discussion on local government or conducting a shadowing program for junior or senior high school students.neigh_east