History: North Braddock shares more than a border with Braddock. Both boroughs were named for British Gen. Edward Braddock, who, during the French and Indian War, led an expedition across the Monongahela River on July 9, 1755, en route to the French outpost at Fort Duquesne. The expedition was ambushed by the French and Indians there, and Gen. Braddock was mortally wounded.
North Braddock was formed from a section of Braddock Township in 1897. North Braddock residents petitioned for incorporation to prevent East Pittsburgh from annexing land where the Edgar Thomson Works was situated. The plant opened in 1873, and was Andrew Carnegie's first steel mill and the first plant in the United States to use the Bessemer process of steelmaking.
The mill, along the Mon River, was built in an area called Braddock's Field, where the Braddock expedition was attacked. That also was where militiamen and farmers held a rally before marching on Pittsburgh during the Whiskey Rebellion on Aug. 1, 1794.