Sixteen people were transported to area hospitals and another 16 were treated for dehydration and heat-related ailments at Stage AE Friday night during the Mac Miller concert.
The show was outside, and the air temperature was only in the low 70s, but Pittsburgh Paramedic District Chief Paul Sabol said the humidity can still cause dehydration -- especially if alcohol is consumed.
"You'd think it was a nice night, but when you get a whole bunch of people huddled together, it doesn't take much to get overheated."
Paramedic Simon Taxel was one of three who was stationed inside the show Friday night -- which is normal procedure.
"Their staff was well-prepared to handle the issues," he said. "They're used to dealing with it. It's a cumulative effect of being outside with not [drinking] enough water."
Two patients were transported to Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, and the rest went to UPMC Mercy and Allegheny General Hospital.
The bulk of the calls for medical help occurred between 9:30 and 10:30 p.m. The show ended just after 11.
During the height of the calls, the city called in mutual aid from Ross to help with transport.
"Instead of stripping the entire city and putting units here, we requested mutual aid," Chief Sabol said.
About 3,000 people attended the Pittsburgh hip-hop artist's show. The paramedics estimated the bulk of the patients treated were between the ages 16 and 20.
Paula Reed Ward: firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-263-2620.