Pittsburgh firefighters quickly extinquished a two-alarm grease fire at a Downtown tavern this morning.
Deputy fire Chief Dan Hennessy said a required fire-suppression system at Tavern 245 at 245 Fourth Ave. was not operational, a problem that could lead to citations against the business.
Chief Hennessy said health inspectors would be called to the restaurant because the fire-suppression system, which should be checked every six months, was out of service.
The fire originated in a fryer in the kitchen and quickly spread, Chief Hennessy said.
A worker at the tavern, Jared Drennen, said the fire spread too quickly for employees to put out with a fire extinguisher.
When firefighters arrived about 9 a.m., they saw smoke coming out of the roof of the building, Chief Hennessy said.
No injuries were reported. Tavern 245 and Bill & Walt's Hobby Shop, located next to the restaurant, sustained smoke and water damage.
The fire bureau estimated the value of the damage at $100,000. Tavern 245's Twitter account said the restaurant is closed until further notice.
Jessica Tully: email@example.com, 412-263-1159 and on Twitter: @jessalynn4. First Published June 19, 2013 3:15 PM