One charged with shooting Beechview man

Share with others:

Print Email Read Later

A man is dead and another has been charged following a Sunday afternoon shooting.

Pittsburgh police Cmdr. Thomas Stangrecki said a man was shot in the chest around 3:10 p.m. in the 600 block of Noblestown Road. The address is near the border of Green Tree, Scott and Pittsburgh but within the city's purview for this investigation, an Allegheny County shift commander said.

The Allegheny County medical examiner's office identified the victim as 23-year-old Mileek Grissom of Beechview.

Mr. Grissom was rushed to UPMC Mercy, where he was pronounced dead at 3:44 p.m., according to the medical examiner's office.

Lamar Alston, 24, has been charged with criminal homicide and counts of aggravated assault, Cmdr. Stangrecki said. Mr. Alston and the victim may have had a dispute earlier in the day but police are still investigating, he added.

Mr. Alston fled the scene and ended up in nearby Collier, where he attempted to shoot at police in the 500-600 block of E. Main St. His gun apparently jammed and was later recovered by police behind an area business, Cmdr. Stangrecki said.

Mr. Alston, whose residence was not known Sunday night, ran behind some houses on Main Street when Heidelberg police apprehended him, Cmdr. Stangrecki said.

Multiple agencies including Greentree, Scott, Collier, Heidelberg, Carnegie and state police troopers responded, Cmdr. Stangrecki said.

Across town, Mr. Grissom's brother was rushing to see his brother at UPMC Mercy when he crashed into a vehicle at Washington Place and Centre Avenue downtown near the Consol Energy Center, Sgt. William Gorman said.

The brother, whose name was not immediately available, has been charged with reckless endangerment and another vehicle offense, Sgt. Gorman said.

Sgt. Gorman said the man was speeding, running red lights and weaving in and out of traffic when he hit a family of four, causing their vehicle to flip three times.

An 11-year-old girl and her 18-month-old sister were taken to Children's Hospital with minimal injuries. Their parents were rushed to Mercy Hospital. The father has been released, Sgt. Gorman said. neigh_city

First Published June 24, 2012 8:15 PM


Create a free PG account.
Already have an account?