A Monroeville developer intends to convert a former Strip District warehouse on Penn Avenue into office space.
Sampson Morris Group is planning 225,000 square feet of offices and 120 indoor parking spaces at the New Federal Cold Storage warehouse, more commonly known as the Wholey's building.
The developer hopes to have the renovations completed by the start of 2014. Sampson is installing windows, facades, elevators, restrooms, lobbies and heating and cooling systems as part of the conversion.
The building has been a beacon to visitors to the Strip, thanks to the illuminated Wholey's fish logo on the side facing Downtown. It was erected in 1928 for the Federal Cold Storage Co. It was purchased in 1980 by the Wholey Fish Co. for its national distribution business. It is currently vacant.
Mark Belko: firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-263-1262.