Propane blasts, fire injure 8 in Florida

Share with others:

Print Email Read Later

TAVARES, Fla. -- After hearing two explosions, maintenance worker Gene Williams looked outside to see a 20-by-20-foot fireball rising above an outdoor storage area at the Blue Rhino propane plant.

Moments later, a forklift worker stumbled into the building with flesh hanging off his hands. His legs and face were burned. Exploding 20-pound canisters of propane began raining down around them during the series of explosions late Monday night.

Bright orange flames would grow as high as 200 feet, fueled by the exploding canisters that shot through the air like fireworks. Houses nearby shook, and residents awakened to the sound of "boom after boom after boom."

No one died, but eight workers were injured, including one worker hit by a car on a nearby road while fleeing the explosions. Officials said the damage could have been significantly worse if three 30,000-pound propane storage containers had caught fire at the plant that refills propane tanks for gas grills and other home uses. About 50 nearby houses were temporarily evacuated, though none was damaged ultimately.

If the large tanks had exploded, "it would have wiped us out," said Lake County Battalion Chief Chris Croughwell, one of the first responders to the explosions in the town northwest of Orlando.

The cause of the explosion was under investigation by federal and state authorities. Chief Williams said it appeared to begin about 100 yards from the loading dock, in an area where some of the plant's 53,000 20-pound propane canisters are stored on plastic pallets.

Tavares Fire Chief Richard Keith said possible causes of the explosion may be either equipment malfunction or human error. Sabotage was not suspected.

The plant's two-dozen workers were preparing to go home when the explosions started Monday night, said Mr. Williams, who works the third shift. Based on what the forklift operator told him, the explosion was likely caused by a "combination of human error and bad practices, possibly. I don't want to speculate any further; that's what the forklift driver was telling me."

Mr. Williams said the forklift driver told him, "'I did what they told me to do; I did what they told me to do, and then this happened.' "

"Something in that area must have triggered it. I don't know if he did something, or something else triggered it," Mr. Williams said.

Mr. Williams said workers were able to remotely shut off the valves to the three big tanks. But they were unable to turn on water sprays meant to keep the tanks cool during a fire. "It was too violent, too hot, to get in there and turn them on," he said.

Chief Croughwell said the hoses designed to spray water on the large tanks didn't go off because they had to be manually activated -- requiring someone to brave dangerous conditions. "Most sane people don't stick around for an event like this," he said.

Tavares Mayor Robert Wolfe said Tuesday that he was surprised to learn that the plant's hoses had to be manually activated. If Blue Rhino reopens the plant, the mayor said, he plans to ask that the hoses be outfitted with computerized, automatic activation. "That way, it's fail-safe," he said. "We're lucky those tanks didn't explode."

Blue Rhino is a subsidiary of Kansas-based national propane provider Ferrellgas. Spokesman Scott Brockelmeyer said Tuesday that he didn't have specific information available about the safety water hoses, but added that the company follows industry standards.

"It's as sobering a situation as you can possibly imagine," Mr. Brockelmeyer said. "We have folks who are injured, and we've got Blue Rhino and Ferrellgas employees across the country who are keeping them in their prayers and sending good vibes their way."

Ferrellgas paid a $2,295 fine in November 2011 following an OSHA inspection that found that a component at the end of an air hose used in the consumer tank refurbishing process was not present. Mr. Brockelmeyer said the company corrected the issue, and added that "the process is performed in area away from where the tanks are filled, ... so no product was being processed in that area."

Four workers were listed in critical conditions at area hospitals. Tavares Fire Department Battalion Commander Eric Wages said five workers walked up to a command center that firefighters set up near the plant Monday night with skin hanging off their arms, torso and faces. He said their arms were outstretched, and they were in complete shock.

The Florida Highway Patrol confirmed that 29-year-old Leesburg resident Kaghy Sam was struck by an SUV driven by 72-year-old Gene Batson on a road near the Blue Rhino plant.

A highway patrol statement said Mr. Sam was running on the road "due to a large fire and several explosions" just before 11 p.m. Monday and "ran into the direct path" of Mr. Batson's vehicle. Mr. Sam was flown to Ocala Regional Medical Center with serious injuries. No charges were filed in the auto accident.

Chief Croughwell said firefighters who responded to the fire had to wait to enter the plant site because conditions were so dangerous. Just as they were finally about to go in, four tractor-trailers parked next to the large propane tanks caught fire.

The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration launched an investigation, as did the Florida State Fire Marshal's office.

About 50 homes were evacuated overnight, but residents were allowed to return after four hours.



You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here