Clinton leaves hospital after treatment for clot

Share with others:

Print Email Read Later

WASHINGTON -- Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton was released Wednesday from a New York hospital, three days after doctors discovered a blood clot in her head.

Ms. Clinton's medical team advised her Wednesday evening that she was making good progress on all fronts and said they were confident that she would fully recover, said Clinton spokesman Philippe Reines. Doctors had been treating Ms. Clinton with blood thinners to dissolve a clot in a vein that runs through the space between her brain and skull behind her right ear.

"She's eager to get back to the office," Mr. Reines said in a statement, adding that the secretary and her family are grateful for the excellent care she received at New York-Presbyterian Hospital. He said details of when she will return to work will be clarified in coming days.

Ms. Clinton had been in the hospital since Sunday, when doctors discovered the clot using an MRI test during a follow-up exam stemming from a concussion she suffered earlier in December. While at home battling a stomach virus, she had fainted, fallen and struck her head, a spokesman said.

"Grateful my Mom discharged from the hospital and is heading home," the secretary's daughter, Chelsea, wrote on Twitter. "Even more grateful her medical team [is] confident she'll make a full recovery."

Ms. Clinton's physicians had said Monday that there was no neurological damage, but that they planned to keep her in the hospital while they established the proper dose for the blood thinners. They said Ms. Clinton, 65, had been in good spirits and was engaging with doctors, family and aides.

Sidelined by her illness for most of December, Ms. Clinton was forced to cancel scheduled testimony before Congress about a scathing report into the attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, and was absent Dec. 21 when President Barack Obama nominated Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., to succeed her when she steps down at the start of Mr. Obama's second term, as had long been planned. But she had expected to return to work this week and had already started to resume regular phone contact with her foreign counterparts.

Ms. Clinton suffered from a blood clot in 1998, midway through her husband's second term as president, although that clot was located in her knee.



Create a free PG account.
Already have an account?