Bruce Cockburn and Jake Shimabukuro are among the marquee names on the 2013-2014 Calliope: The Pittsburgh Folk Music Society concert schedule, which was announced today.
All concerts are held on Saturday evenings at 7:30 in Carnegie Lecture Hall, Oakland.
CALLIOPE CONCERTS SERIES 2013-14
• Oct. 26 -- Vieux Farka Toure: A bluesy singer-guitarist from Mali -- who has been called "The Hendrix of the Sahara" -- is the son of legendary Ali Farka and protege of Ry Cooder.
• Nov. 16 -- Blue Highway: Grammy-nominated contemporary bluegrass group.
• Dec. 7 -- Bruce Cockburn: The Canadian Music Hall of Famer, still best known for "If I Had a Rocket Launcher," has enjoyed a career that has spanned 35 years.
• Jan. 25 -- True Blues (Corey Harris, Guy Davis, Alvin Youngblood Hart): Blues artists in round-robin-style performance and conversation.
• March 8 -- Karan Casey Band: Irish folk singer and former member of Solas blends contemporary and traditional.
• March 29 -- Jake Shimabukuro: Hawaiian ukulele virtuoso has shared stages with Jimmy Buffett and Bette Midler. Eddie Vedder said of him, "Jake is taking the instrument to a place that I can't see anybody else catching up with."
• April 5 -- The Steel Wheels: Four-piece string band from Virginia mixes blues, old-time music, bluegrass.
• April 26 -- Martha Redbone Roots Project: Folksinger blends Native American elements with indie-soul, Appalachian folk and Piedmont blues.
Subscriptions are $245 plus a $6 handling fee through the Calliope office: 412-361-1915. Flex-plans and single tickets will go on sale in late July.
For additional information, go to www.calliopehouse.org.
Scott Mervis: email@example.com, 412-263-2576 and on Twitter: scottmervis_pg.