Random Act of Kindness: A student's quick response saved man stricken on bus

Share with others:

Print Email Read Later

One day last week at approximately 4:45 p.m., a man on a Port Authority bus went into cardiac arrest and fell to the ground.

A patient care technician student from Everest Institute was on the bus, and she sprang into action. Sabrina, a Pittsburgh native, immediately cleared people away from the man. She instructed the driver to call 911 and evaluated the man closely.

She realized that he didn't have a pulse and he wasn't breathing. Sabrina started CPR, giving breaths and performing chest compressions. Then, with her stethoscope that she was carrying to class, she checked the man again.

His pulse and breathing had returned. She saved his life. The man regained consciousness and was thanking Sabrina over and over, asking her not to leave his side.

Soon after, the paramedics met the bus and Sabrina gave them all of the man's vital signs. The man was taken to the hospital and was in stable condition at last check.

In a day and age where people are afraid or hesitant to help others, Sabrina remained calm and showed courage in the face of a very intimidating situation. Congratulations on a job well done, Sabrina. I'm sure that you will go on to be a great patient care technician in the future.



Young man was happy to help with dirty work changing tire

I was stuck in the "little" Giant Eagle off old William Penn Highway with a very flat tire.

I called my insurance agent to find a towing service to fix the flat. I was told it could be one to four hours, with higher cost for less waiting.

Several people walked by and empathized, and one even offered to go somewhere with me while the waiting process was ongoing. He left quickly when I said I had a husband who is recovering from back surgery.

I decided to get a drink (bottled chocolate milk) to soothe my nerves and ponder my situation. A young man in an Army shirt walked by for the second time, so I asked what he would charge to change a flat tire.

He sincerely said, "Nothing," that he would be glad to help and didn't want any compensation. I felt really bad due to the hot steamy weather and the crumbling concrete he had to kneel on.

I found a sun shield from the car to put under his knee. Tony was so gallant he wouldn't let me get my hands dirty or lift anything.

It's not often that someone extends a helping hand, especially for a hot, grungy project. I am past 50, and many men walking by had shook their heads and walked on, but not Tony -- he is a true knight in Army armor.



Young women acted swiftly to assure dog's safe recovery

On a recent night at 11:30, I took our two collies for a last trip outside before bed.

Usually both dogs do their business while I stand in the yard with them. On this night, Denver, who is a mostly black, tri-colored dog, found a favorite spot behind a bush but did not immediately return for his treat.

He did not come when I called, so I went back into the house to get a flashlight. He usually follows the same path through the adjacent field, but not on this night. My husband and I searched on foot and by car for nearly an hour.

We were terribly worried that our dark-furred dog would not be seen by a car on the road. Then, at about 12:20 a.m., my cell phone rang. A woman inquired if I had lost a dog.

She and a friend were driving on busy Verona Road when they spotted Denver walking down the middle of the street. They pulled over and called to him.

"He seemed like such a nice dog, we didn't want him to get hurt," she said. He was about three blocks from our house.

The young women waited with him until we could reach him.

I didn't get their names, but we are forever thankful that they rescued our beloved Denver from a dangerous situation.



Has someone done you right? Send your Random Act of Kindness to page2@post-gazette.com , or write to Portfolio, Post-Gazette, 34 Blvd. of the Allies, Pittsburgh, PA 15222.


Create a free PG account.
Already have an account?